Green beans~has anyone ever heard of pickling?

cockadoodlemom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We got 2 bushels dirt cheap and my mom was telling me that she had recently talked with someone who loves pickled green beans. I have never heard of this so I was wondering if anyone on hear had ever heard of it and if you have tried it.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
pickeled ones are great!! I like to mix the green snap beans and yellow wax's together when I do them, makes for a nice look. You should really try it, if you like pickeled veggies you will enjoy them.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Green and wax beans are the only part of chowchow that I actually like, so I'm sure that pickling just the beans alone would be good :)

Pat

BearSwampChick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My mother always pickled green beans in a huge crock in the basement. She also pickled corn, sauerkraut and pig's feet. Very German, we are! :tools

mamaspider

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Here's the dilly beans recipe from the Ball Blue Book...

2 pounds green beans
1/4 cup canning salt
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
1 tsp. cayenne pepper, divided
4 cloves garlic, divided
4 heads dill, divided

Trim ends off green beans. Combine salt, vinegar and water in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil, Pack beans lengthwise into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Add 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, 1 clove garlic and 1 head dill to each pint. Add 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, 2 cloves garlic and 2 heads dill to each quart. Ladel hot liquid over beans, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints and quarts 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 4 pints or 2 quarts.

edited to add - I'm with you BikerBabe - the more garlic the better! Yum!

Reaction score
I haven't pickled beans myself, but my grandma had done some up for me last year.
Actually they were wax beans and were suppose to be just canned but she pickled them instead.
I have to admit they really weren't my favorite, but we eat them none the less. This year when we start canning we are going to can them. We will probably have a few jars of pickled ones, but mostly canned.
Sorry can't give you a recipe to pickling.
Good luck.
Shawna

Latest posts