Green Beans Not Producing,..

Up-the-Creek

Sprout
Reaction score
We have had tons of rain, and it has been warm and humid. I planted 3 rows of White Half-Runners and 2 rows of Romas. I got maybe a 1/2 bushel of Roma beans and they just quit blooming. The Half-Runners (which I will never plant again) I maybe got a little less than a bushel from them and then they just about stopped blooming. They are producing some beans and blooms, but not many. The vines are also turning yellow. Is it too much rain or is it something else??? I know green beans produce better than this. My mother planted 2 short rows of blue lakes and in two weeks she got 3 bushels off of them. I am at a loss, can someone tell me what is going on????

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My white half runners have not produced all that well, yet they are the variety that my mother in east Tennessee has to have every year and she normally cans a lot of beans from a fairly short row. It's my first year with them here and, like you, I'm not impressed. I think I read that they are considered a bush bean, but they definitely need to be staked. I did notice it took a while for the pollinators to find them, but the pollinators are here now and they are still not producing well.

I'll get my first picking off my blue lake pole beans today. I'm waiting to see how they produce. They are a few days later than last year, I guess due to it overall being a little cooler this year despite that one week where we were really scorching. My father in law in Kansas said they had the third coolest July on record. I don't think it is a normal year for many things.

Have you had success with green beans before in your garden? Have you done a soils test? It is possible you are short on certain nutrients or your ph is wrong for beans. I believe beans, like peas, don't need a whole lot of nitrogen. If there is too much nitrogen they supposedly grow a lot of vine and not a lot of beans. I know beans don't like it too dry. Maybe they don't like it wet either. I usually don't have that problem here.

Probably not much help to you since I really don't know what is going on with your beans. More of a, yeah, I know how you feel. Good luck!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it helps I am yet to get anything off of my blue lake pole beans. I've been as patient as possible... I see a few tiny ones producing... but I'm seeing like 3-4 beans TOTAL. I've had blooms for weeks and weeks as well.

I have no idea, I'm of no help.

Up-the-Creek

Sprout
Reaction score
Honestly I believe it is the weather. Many in our area are having the same troubles. The vines are small, turning yellow, and just not blooming. I walked to the garden today and I noticed some blooms coming on, maybe two or three. We also dug some of our potatoes and some of them done real well, while some aren't. My tomatoes are shabby looking and some of them are rottening, and my corn looks stunted. I am very dissapointed this year. This garden was used for years, but has been left dormet for at least 20. My great-grandparents used it all the time as did my parents. The soil is a rich loam and has always been a good garden spot. Also early in the season we had a rabbit infestation and they ate our beans once, they come back out, but never looked as good as they did. Many factors I believe has contributed to the mess. I will pray for better weather next year and maybe do better planning. :rainbow-sun

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've got so many beans I can't keep up with canning and freezing. Planted them way too thick and never thinned them out. Wouldn't even want to know how many I'd have if I had thined them properly!!!
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!