green beans vs wax beans production..

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the difference in production between green beans and wax beans? I planted both wax and green beans this year and I'm on my second crop, so far I've noticed that green beans produce more beans per plant than wax beans, has anyone noticed the same result?
I love wax beans but if when they produce less per plant I'm thinking of planting less of them and more green. I will not stop planting them cuz I like the added color in the jar.. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted them for the first time last year- not really worth it for me. I do agree the color was fun- but just no enough beans and they got too big, real fast...

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, IME the yellow ones usually have poorer production.

(It's nice to see them being called wax beans. Up here -- I don't know whether it is just the Toronto area or all of Canada -- people seem to have no idea what you mean when you say wax beans. They call them "yellow beans". <shrug>)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown recently 2 kinds of Italian Flat Wax Pole Beans. Very similar to each other, but one is white seeded and the other is light brown seeded. These are both immensly productive.

There are 2 more varieties of yellow pole beans I'd like to try. One is an appalachian greasy cutshort they call "mushroom" because it supposedly has a mushroomy flavor. True yellow or wax greasy or cutshort varieties are as rare as hen's teeth. The other yellow pole bean I'd like to try is Kentucky Wonder Wax.

Latest posts