green caterpillar?

jessejames

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
it seems that my brussel sprouts are being eaten by small green caterpillars
are these coming from the small black eggs i am finding in the leaf crotches
i also found some green soft eggs in one of my cabbages
any help identifying any of these and organic methods of treatment would be greatly appreciated
one day ill buy a digi camarea o i can take pics of this stuff
thanks alot
jessejames

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It could be one of many. I have a beautiful one that is light green on the bottom half and has very small horizontal black and yellow stripes on a darker green background on the top half. It is a gorgeous caterpillar that loves my kale. I'm just amazed it is leaving my chard alone right next to the kale.

Anyway, I believe BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) is an approved organic way to control catepillars. I'm not going organic myself so I am only 95% sure it is organic. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Those black specs in the leaf crotches are most likely caterpillar droppings. Those green soft eggs may be your problem.

Good luck.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am surprised by how much of my day is consumed with hand picking and dispatching bugs of all kinds. As I am squishing my 10th bug of the day, I can't help but laugh. So, this is what organic gardening is all about!! Handpicking really does help- just when you think you will never get ahead of them, they disappear...

Latest posts