Green Onions.. Shandong Giant Green Onion

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is a picture I found of Shandong Green Onions bundled up, at the Chinese market. This variety has been around for many, many, years in Asia. I have never seen a green onion grow with such a long white stem, before now! I love this variety.
attachment.php

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't see the picture either. I do get a rectangle with what looks like blue sheet with corer turned down, and IMG. When ever I see this, I don't see the picture.

Mary

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have grown Tokyo White for several years, Barefoot. Usually, I try another bunching type each season but haven't tried your Chinese Shandong.

If I understand correctly, the green onions we find in the markets are now this species (Allium fistulosum) or hybrids of this species. If Shandong is the same, the British call them "Welsh onions." That name led me to a good deal of confusion, when I first decided to grow something other than bulb onions, from seeds or sets.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong. It's gardeners who grow onions from sets. That isn't where the food industry has been in recent years. There is nothing at all wrong in using onions from sets as green onions. It's quicker than growing from seed. By the way, there is nothing wrong with using any onion, including shallots, as green onions.

My bunching onion season has nearly come to an end. I've begun to harvest leeks. I'm not gonna use them uncooked. In fact, I haven't used many of the bunching onions uncooked. No, stir-fries are too important in my diet. The leeks are mostly destined for potato and leek soup! Oh Boy ..!

Steve :)
who was also eating his bulbing onions green but now has them for winter. Life is good.
Steve, yes, this is a variety of the species Allium Fistulosum L. AKA Japanese Bunching Onion, Chinese Green Onion, Chin Choong, Green Bunching Onion, Scallion, Choong, Negi, Hanh La.
Shandong is a long bunching type onion and is non dividing.Very vigorous and cold tolerant.

Over the years, I have always used just about any onion I had growing, or could get my hands on, for green onions. Picked at the right stage, they did the job.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! Almost look like leeks..those are beauty's.
Did you plant the seedlings deep, or mound soil on them as they grew? Not often you see such a long blanched stalk like those ones.

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! Almost look like leeks..those are beauty's.
Did you plant the seedlings deep, or mound soil on them as they grew? Not often you see such a long blanched stalk like those ones.

No, I did not blanch the onions or plant deep, but, If I had of I bet the stalk would have grown even more. I plan on doing that next time. This is a unique variety for sure..