Green Pea Advice Please

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you aren't sure exactly when to plant for fall, do like I do, and plant some every few weeks. That's what I'm in the process of doing with Beets.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Marshall, I was wondering about when to plant. With our last frost usually mid October and back 3 months, that puts mid July. We will have dug potatoes by then and have some room to plant and don't think we will need 5 rows for turnips and greens so will have plenty of room to sow some succession plantings.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
After digging yer taters, add a ton of compost for tons of drainage and make sure the peas are within easy watering range. Want them to have plenty of water and hardly ever dry out.

For my peas I'm using small plant cages because I had a lot. They don't need to be growing high, but they need something to keep them off the ground. Chicken wire staked up will work. Peas are "prop up a bit and grab" growers. Keep them lush and juicy like lettuce. They like Liquid kelp and fish emulsion properly diluted.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I won't post my pictures twice, but I just had my first harvest of sugar snap peas last night. NEXT year, I'm going to start them indoors, end of JANUARY, and get them out early March, since they can handle going from the house, to the unheated porch, to the steps, then to the ground.
They are SO yummy just picked.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago I planted sugar snap peas a few times. They grew well, but we never got them to the table. The pre-school young'n would follow behind me in the garden, eating peas off the vine like he was in a race of some kind. :lol:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alaska Peas are fast. Seed to soil 24 April, flowers began yesterday. The others are still growing taller. I took a photo yesterday and soon as I get the modem working I'll put one in.

Latest posts