green tomato pie

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
anyone had it?

Will have a lot of tomatoes fairly soon and looking for ways to use them.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh that is one of my favorites :drool In fact the first time I made it I brought it out for dessert and my son asked what kind of pie I had made. I said it is a surprise taste it, he gave me a kinda funny look and tasted. He immediately declared it the best apple pie I had ever made and commenced to basically inhaling it.
As he was cutting his 3rd piece I told him I was really glad he was enjoying it so much just as he was ready to put yet another bite in his mouth I told him, especially since it's a green tomatoe pie!! He doesn't even like ripe tomatoes!!
To this day, he is 24 and I believe he was 15 at the time the only pie of mine he will eat is a berry pie no apple he doesn't trust me :)

Of course don't forget fried green maters
:rainbow-sun

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here you go

Green Tomato Pie

Pastry for double crust (I use a butter crust)

Filling
2T flour
1 C sugar
1/2t cinnamon (I actually use more to taste)
1/4t ground ginger(Also more to taste)
3 C very thinly sliced green tomatoes
2T unsalted butter
1T vinegar

Preheat oven to 450. Prepare pie crust and line bottom of pie pan with half. Keep remaining dough chilled.

Mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Sprinkle one fourth of the flour mixture in the bottom of the pie shell. Arrange the tomato slices in the crust. Cover with the remaining flour mixture. Dot with butter and sprinkle with vinegar. Roll out the top crust and lay it on the filling. Trim off any excess dough, crimp the edges, and prick with tines of fork to vent. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 50 min more or until golden brown.

Here is one made with apples, I've not tried it

Pastry for double crust

Filling
1 C dark brown sugar
2 T flour
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
2 C thinly sliced green tomatoes
2 C peeled, cored and thinly sliced apples
2 T unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 450. Prepare pie dough and line pie pan with bottom crust.

Combine the sugar, flour, cinamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle one third of the sugar mixture in the bottom of the pie shell. Mix the tomatoes with the apples. Layer on half of the tomato mixture in the pie shell. Sprinkle with another third of the sugar mixture. Make an additional layer of tomatoes and apples and top with the remaining sugar mixture. Dot with butter. Roll out top crust and lay on filling. Trim excess dough, crimp and prick to vent. Bake at 450 for 15 min. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for 30 min or until golden.

:rainbow-sun

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hmmp. I've never heard of such a thing.
This recipe went into my file due to its oddity!

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think it was waaaaay back in the 80s when I had one, when I still lived with my parents. It tasted much better than I anticipated, like an "almost apple" pie.

Latest posts