Greenhouse floors?????

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are about to do re-do our greenhouses. I am removing the hoops and grating the ground to remove the brambles (yes, they have sat too long!)

So my thought is to put down landscape fabric and then 3/4 minus. We live in Oregon where blackberries are always a problem.

I had thought to put down the fabric you use for drain fields. Any thought on this before we invest? Need these to last as long as possible.
PS we are an organic farm....

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to use paver blocks. I used large ones for a path I made and was quite happy with them. I am guessing some weeds, etc might grow up in between- My greenhouse is only 6x12, so I should be able to keep up with any weeding!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Out in my fenced garden I have 2 layers of fabric down and a good 3" of river rock pebbles. I still occassionally have weeds come through that... I do pull them up... patch... and recover with rock. As the fence is odd, and the paths are narrow we can't fit a mower in there and the weed whacker is pointless so this is what we did and I love it!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have worked in construction and have used filter fabric alot When I first started building retaining walls and land scaping around our house I used filter fab cause I could get all I wanted free. Big mistake ended up having to take it all out and put down weed block. So I would say dont use filter fabric, better to use weed block or plastic sheeting.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Something will always grow between paver blocks. That's just the way Mother Nature works. Even a crack in a city sidewalk will usually have something growing in it. I often notice plants growing in cracks even on a major highway. It's better if that something is a plant you want rather than just random weeds. Creeping thyme is a good example. Once you get it going nice and thick only the hardiest weeds can compete and you can hand pull those few. It also smells really good when stepped on.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love my creeping thyme- and I love the way things look growing between blocks. Moss is my favorite, but thyme in the greenhouse would be a great idea!