Greenhouse, It can be done.

Elbesta

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi all! Im new to this forum but not new to gardening. I have had a garden off and on for 45 years. A few years ago I lived in Lewiston ID I made a 10' X 16' greenhouse. It had 4' stub walls with 8' rafters. 2x4 framing with lexan on the roof and 10 mil vinyl on the inside, so two layers of plastic. (you can get heavy vinyl at walmart fabric dept.) I put in a wall thermostat to an outlet and a fan on a reverse thermostat. (think I got that at home depo) I heated that greenhouse with a 1500W electric heater had 12 4' bulbs for light and a mister for the summer. It had a 4'x8'x2'high center planter with a small pond and a tropical garden in it. Even grew 10' banana trees from seed, elephant ears that flowered, (they stunk) It was a min. of 65 deg all winter inside, lowest temp outside was 14 F . It cost about $50.00 per month for heat and lights it the winter. Total cost to build was under $700.00 . It was great, Kept it going for 3 years, had to plant the banana trees out side when they tot to big for the greenhouse, hated it when the frost took them out.
Now im workin on a new greenhouse that is 12' x 24' I live about 100 miles north of Lewiston now and has been down to -5 alredy this winter, But I will be growing again next winter.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Elbesta! :frow I'm a north Idahoan too! I'm about 20 miles, give or take, north of CDA. Your greenhouse sounds great, that's something that's been on my wish list for awhile.
It's good to have you, prepare yourself for some brain picking on green house growing! :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeehaw, Welcome to the forum Elbesta!

Those are pretty good numbers for heating a greenhouse for only 50 dollars a month with electricity!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Hi Elbesta!

Welcome to the forum. I think you might be in Collector's neighborhood. Mine too!

Mom was born in Lewiston. For you folks unfamiliar with that part of the world: Lewiston is in Idaho on 1 side of the river & Carkston is on the other side, in Washington State. Familiar names?
;)
I wouldn't be surprised if you are still stone's throw from that border.

Steve

Elbesta

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks all!

Im about 20 miles south of St. Maries ID now.
I scanned a couple picts of the greenhouse inside and being built and me and the garden, about 16 years ago.
Greenhouse 002.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your garden outside the greenhouse doesn't look too shabby, either! Welcome, glad to meet you.
I've been a garden newbie for 35 years, now.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Elbesta and welcome ! :frow

Looking forward to hearing from your years of experience. Yes, we love photos! :D

Smithyard Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi!! and welcome!! please post photos as your project comes along! always wanted a greenhouse, and I wish to live vicariously through you!

Latest posts