Greenhouse, It can be done.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You must know where John Creek and Alder Creek are, Elbesta.

I was looking at some property in that area for a home a long time ago. I have used that experience in 1 or 2 stories here on TEG. .

Before committing myself to that homesite, I went out, trekked all over the countryside (there were almost no homes then) and camped on John Creek overnight. The next morning, the coffee was frozen in the pot near the cold ashes of the fire. It was the 4th of July weekend.

Then as now, gardening was important to me. I moved out in the sticks near the south end of Pend O'reille Lake instead of your beautiful neighborhood. The difference was between a little over 2,700 feet elevation and 2,500 feet elevation. I still seemed to have only about 100 days frost-free when I lived there . . .

Elbesta, you should benefit a good deal by having another nice greenhouse like that one.

Steve

Elbesta

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have 30 ac on the St. Maries river we can get a frost any time of the year. The greenhouse was ok down to 20deg then it went down to 10 and things froze. Im trying to over winter onions and garlic in raised beds with about foot of straw on them, ill find out come spring.

Elbesta

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yep! 4 months old and 45lb shepherd, lab and I think some hound dog. 8,12,and 4, 3 full cups of food and he HOWLS if your late. I did gun shows in Montana a few years back, always drove over Lolo pass.

Elbesta

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Got about 3 feet of top soil on the lower section about 12 ac. I just take the backhoe down skim off what I need to fill the raised beds. Clean out the goat house first put that in the bottom, mix compost with the topsoil and good to plant

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just ruminiscing, but it sure is true we all us gardeners have challenges wherever we are.

Sometimes it takes some engineering.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sSig_welcome3.gif

WOW! I can't wait to see what you've got come summer time! A greenhouse is on my want list too, but will be a LONG time coming.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep! 4 months old and 45lb shepherd, lab and I think some hound dog. 8,12,and 4, 3 full cups of food and he HOWLS if your late. I did gun shows in Montana a few years back, always drove over Lolo pass.

Well if you were here for gun shows i'm SURE you came to the flathead valley! Heh, well i guess we're not much more gun crazy than the rest of montana... "we" meaning my neighbors, not necessarily me ;)

What veggie/fruit would you say is your most productive? We all know thistlebloom loves potatoes, and you are over there in Idaho potato-land!

Latest posts