Greenhouse Score! $50!!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, what a great find. So good that your DH is excited about it too.
There was a business that closed near here that had three tunnel greenhouses, big ones, that eventually got dismantled and sold. I sure wished I could have gotten one of them, but knew I wouldn't have a chance of getting cooperation. :rolleyes:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy I did include my phone number in the email I sent--all three of them! I looked online at greenhouse supplies and the new plastic isn't so expensive.

@thistlebloom I won't be able to taunt very soon, we are going to have to clear a place to set this up! And there are other projects in front of this one. But I grabbed this deal before it got away!

@seedcorn I've found several good deals on craigslist, but I don't hold a candle to Nyboy! :lol:

My husband used to try to dissuade me from doing the things I do, he finally gave up. :lol: He thought I was nuts, he raised a lot of noise over me putting that crappy looking PVC, plastic wrapped and duct taped, redneck greenhouse in the front yard at our old house. He ranted about it until I shoved a ripened tomato in his mouth, :duc then he was on board for the ride on the crazy train. :gigSo now when I come up with an off the wall I-am-going-to-do-this, he goes along with me, even if he does think I'm crazy. :love Right now he thinks that we don't have to put up the whole greenhouse......ya'll know where that is going, right? :lol: We have a huge briar patch to clean up, small oaks, pines, dead trees lying under the briars that are taller than I am, it's a real mess.

We unloaded it off the trailer today and that is probably where it will stay for awhile until we get other things done. But my little mind will be making plans.......

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Happy as heck for you, Bay! Wish one would drop in at my place. Best I can do is a 10x20 carport/garage/storage tent we put up in the last few weeks -- just in time for our recent cyclone weather. Guess if it stood up to those winds it should stand up to anything.

It allowed me clean out the garage -- room for the car -- and a good part of the garden shed so I may be able to try winter planting in there this year.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found a greenhouse frame on Craigslist for $50 and emailed immediately. I didn't get an answer, so emailed 2 more times. Finally, he called the next day and he promised me that it was mine. Between our schedule and theirs, we finally got to go get it today. It is a galvanized pipe hoop style that is popular around here with the commercial nurseries. They are expen$ive! He said it was supposed to be 16'x40', but some of the parts are missing and some are bent, but he thought it should make a 30' greenhouse.

It is still on the trailer, we don't know where we are going to set it up yet. And it looks like we will have to clear out a briar patch, maybe cut a couple of trees...... There seems to be no clear spot for it that gets any sunshine. Plus I am trying to keep it close enough so maybe someday I can get electricity to it for grow lights. We are real excited to get the greenhouse, it is the "high tunnel" style, all we need is the plastic for it and that will cost a lot more than what we paid for the frame!

This is a project we will have to set aside for now, as we just don't have the time to clear a place for it right now. But at least we have it and it will be there waiting on us when we get the time to put it all together.

View attachment 10039
I bought a similar one in better condition. The people knew the name of it and I was able to contact the co. and get instructions. A new cover is surprisingly inexpensive though I still do not need a new one.

Chris Young

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nice Deal youve got there. :)

I wish i could affort a Greenhouse like on the first picture at http://www.r-zs.com/en/space-solutions/storage/agriculture/. What do you think how much it would cost? Inclusive running costs? Is that size of greenhouse affordable for private consumers? I´ll go and get advice from my grandpa, he´s gardener. Maybe he can tell me some more. Does anyone of you have a greenhouse in a similar size and dont run it commercially?

Regards :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I built a 180 square foot (9 by 20) greenhouse almost 20 years ago. It has an insulated north wall and roof with a sloping south wall covered with UV-resistant plastic; so it is a "sunshed."

It has a small natural gas, forced air furnace.

I thought about using it through the winter, doubling that plastic film on the south wall. The utility company engineering department gave me an estimate for 5 months of running the furnace. I was told it would increase my 12 month budget plan about $20.

The building on the webpage is much, much bigger than 180 sqft. It would also lose heat in all directions. You could probably cover inside beds with low tunnels and grow frost-hardy, winter crops without heat.

Steve

Latest posts