Greenhouse Tomatoes Attention Seedcorn!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a pipe leak out by the street and called the plumber. He re-plumbed our house December 4 years ago when a pipe busted in the ceiling and flooded the house. I bribed him and his helpers with fresh tomatoes from the greenhouse to do a little extra work. When I called last week, talking to his wife, he told her he had 2 other stops ahead of me and they were both WAAAAY out of town in opposite directions. I told her, "Tell him I have greenhouse tomatoes." His answer? "I'll be right there!" Our leak was fixed in 45 minutes. :lol: Then we piled on green onions, collard greens, bell peppers and fresh eggs. Nice to have a happy plumber.

And you're right Red, they are like family pets. :hit

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awwwwww Bay - i wont lie, i clicked on this link expecting to curse in your general direction (again) BUT now i feel bad! All that hard work for years, taken out in such a brief time!! Sorry!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, oh, oh . . . over-wintered veggies & plumbers like family pets??

Sorry, Bay.

When I built the first little greenhouse, which I think was something like 5' by 10', I put an electric heater in it. The door froze shut and I couldn't do anything but watch that heater run & run! It was okay, there wasn't much in that greenhouse & when we had a little bit of outdoor warmth, I got the door open & the plants in the house.

There is very, very insulation value to a sheet of plastic. Much depends on the warmth of the soil inside and how many hours of darkness.

I am having a sunny day! Yesterday, my sunshed's south wall was covered in snow & had been for several days. In the afternoon, I opened the door to look inside - briefly! It was cooold in there! After hours of "daylight" (no sun), I doubt if it was 5° above outdoor temps.

It was just 32° outdoors y'day afternoon so I closed the door quickly on those Asian greens! I'm afraid they've experienced a few frosts growing in there this winter . . .

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Bay... how very sad.
I'm very sorry.
sLo_comfort.gif

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked the last of the tomatoes. I finally had to give up on them. The vines are dead.

Greenhouse Tomato Fail.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do keep a small electric heater in the greenhouse, and it has served well for quite a few years. But it just wasn't loaded for super ice and snow. Wah.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry you lost them. Bet they were good. Thanks for no pix as I would be grumbling and muttering all the while licking my computer screen trying to get a taste..... Might have thought about coming down to share---nah too far, just grumble.

Maybe next year, your green house will not have to handle such cold.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not wanting to be overly optimistic, but you might try cutting the plants back to the ground and see if they send up new growth. If it wasn't cold enough to kill the roots there might be a chance.

You're called Smart for a reason. That is certainly worth trying. And being overly optimistic, if it works since it is an old established tomato, it may not be all that long before it blooms. Even if it doesn't work it is a good idea.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried cutting back the spring/summer tomatoes to see if they would sprout back out, but they didn't. The heat was too intense. It might work for these tomatoes because the summer sun is not frying them. It's just the darn winter COLD that is freezing them.

@seedcorn We normally have tomatoes all winter.....not this year. I thought you would like an opportunity to go :tongue on greenhouse tomatoes! :lol: And next year, I might have a better greenhouse......... ya'll pity my poor DH--he has a lot to put up with! :gig

Latest posts