Greenhouse Tomatoes Attention Seedcorn!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed my bell peppers. Fresh all year! How does it get any better than that? Boo-Hoo....... 4 years....... oh well, it has been a good run. Start over.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
this may be out of place here, but has anyone ever made a double-plastic walled hoop green house? Like have an inch or two of space between the walls.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was trying to talk on the phone and type a question at the same time. digitS' talking about how there is no insulation with a plastic wall got me to wondering if two plastic walls would give a lot more protection. You could use one plastic covered cattle panel, then another one outside it, a couple inches away.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that's a terrible disappointment. What nice tomatoes you had going too. Sorry, Bay! :hugs

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
this may be out of place here, but has anyone ever made a double-plastic walled hoop green house? Like have an inch or two of space between the walls.
Yes.

The 1st year I set up the 1st hoop house in my backyard.

Doubling the pvc hoop frames was complicated! I did, after all, have to attach both to the door frame at one end and the window frame at the other. It would have been much simpler to put a plastic film tunnel over each bed. However, some of the insulation value is lost with the air space that large, I have read. So, my 2 pvc frames were only inches apart. Too complicated!

Didn't seem to make a lot of difference but I didn't have anything to compare it to. I also used up a lot of film that year.

Steve

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A double layer would be some help but it can be difficult to maintain an even separation so the sheets don't touch. I'm not sure quite how to address condensation in there. Commercial greenhouses inflate the space between two plastic layers with a fan to maintain separation and keep it drier so green algae, mold and bacteria don't grow, but it does save them heating $.

For home greenhouses, I have heard of some folks adding a layer of bubble wrap on the inside of the glass/hard plastic. For your application you might try sandwiching a layer of bubble wrap - which can be purchased in large rolls at moving companies - between two plastic layers over the top of the hoops. That will decrease the light a bit, but the sandwich should help protect the bubble layer from the UV and weather. Good luck! It would be great to hear how it goes for you!

Latest posts