"GreenTiger" Zucchini

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a green zucchini that I planted from Baker's Creek called Zucchini Green Bush". I hate this plant! It is very spiney and the zucchini's are hard to find. Some of them grow under the stems of leaves and they are impossible to cut at the stem. I looked for Ambassador which I think is what I planted last year that I really liked. It had a very open habit and you could see every fruit. It kept extending it's growth but not quite like a vine so I was able to contain it in it's small bed. But I couldn't find it and bought Green Tiger instead.

Green Tiger is supposed to be open habit with easy harvesting and spineless. The spineless part has me very excited since I don't wear long sleeves when picking zucchini's and then I pay the price with very itching arms!

Has anyone grown this and what did you think about it?

Mary

brwalden

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
No I haven't tried green tiger. Looks interesting though. I have "black beauty " planted now and they are pretty spiney. But the are prolific producers. I reccomend long sleeves when harvesting.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, :ep never saw a wild rose in short sleeves! No wonder it thought it could take over. :lol:

DH has dug out plenty of wild roses, though. Lops off the stems on one side and uses a grub-hoe to dig the roots out. Some of 'em were over 20 years old and massive things. So far, :love DH has won every exchange, but not without his share of scratches.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Clean out around the wild roses, prune them to an attractive size and shape, and put a do not touch sign beside them. That will make the wild ones more desirable to your deer.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish I was a bigger rose garden fan, can buy rose bushes for $2 here. Tyler is the Rose Capital and high tunnel greenhouses are everywhere. Just have too much going on to start a rose garden, much less care for it. Maybe that indestructible wild rose......

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a good looking veggie, Mary.

I did some googling. Burpee claims it as an "exclusive." What do they mean by that?? Harris, Jung, Gourmet Seed, and Pine Tree have it.

I looked at a site:edu search and North Dakota Extension recommends it. I should pay more attention to NDSU. Anything that will grow in North Dakota is pretty special, don't you think?

NDSU recommends Gold Rush. I grow that and the color is AMAZING! That's one thing I like about summer squash, appearance ... I just don't eat them ...

Cashflow is another one I have grown for quite a few years. The name might appeal to farmers. I'd have fun growing quite a few summer squash but I wouldn't be a good judge of flavor.

Steve

Last edited: