Greetings, and the first of many silly questions

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello!
I was just introduced to this site from BYC (woot!), and cannot tell you how happy I am to have found it!!!What a great site!!!:weee

I tried a search, but couldn't find the answers I seek:).

We have just set up our square foot garden, and are growing some things from seed (first time!Yippee!). My DH asked me these questions, and I was embarassed to say I didn't know...
1)How do differentiate between weeds and your plants when things first start growing?
2)How do you know when your "below grounders" are ready to harvest (i.e. carrots,radishes,onions etc).

I promise to do more research before posting any more questions, but I just had to ask!;)

:thumbsup

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've seen you on BYC. Welcome to this site. I'm still fairly new on here also.

1)How do differentiate between weeds and your plants when things first start growing?

I had that problem with celery last year. One weed we have looks a lot like celery. I don't have a simple answer for you other than for you to trust yourself. You already have a lot of knowledge on what the leaves look like from the grocery store or from looking at flowers. And different seeds behave differently.

With some seeds, like beans, the bean itself comes out of the ground when it sprouts, splits and looks like the first two leaves on the plant. Most aren't that obvious, but some are easy.

Many vegetables just look different from weeds. You'll quickly learn the look. Many are larger, like squash or gourds. Not tougher as they look vulnerable to me, but definitely larger. If you plant 3 feet of radishes, then 5 feet of carrots, you'll see 3 feet of one type plant then 5 feet of another type plant. You can make some pretty good guesses from this. When I sow seeds or even put started seedlings in, I put a small marker, usually a small stake of scrap wood with magic marker writing, at each end of the planting to tell me variety. That can help.

Some can look similar to weeds, especially if it is the first time you've grown it. Celery for me. Corn can look a lot like some grasses. For those you are not sure of, I advise patience. It will become obvious. There is a plant identification section on this forum. People are as friendly and helpful here as on BYC. Got a camera?

2)How do you know when your "below grounders" are ready to harvest (i.e. carrots,radishes,onions etc).

You can look at the days to maturity on the seed packet, but that is just a guideline when to start looking. Those seem to be from germination, not planting, and assume ideal growing conditions. Mine don't always get ideal growing conditions, but it tells you a "no earlier than" date.

Some, like radishes, will be pretty obvious. They actually partially mature above the ground so you can see when they are ready. With some, like onions, the tops die back when they are ready to harvest for storage. Of course, I use a lot of green onions so I take those when I am ready. And you can eat onions before the top dies back. At least I do. For some, like carrots and potatoes, you just have to start groveling in the ground to check.

For some of the in-ground crops, like onions, it is recommended that you remove the soil around the tops of the bulbs so they will grow larger. Obviously you can see when they are big enough. Some like potatoes would sunburn if you remove the dirt, so you can't do that for all of them.

You'll just have to learn about the individual crops. As you are aware, there are threads on here on most of them and search works as it does on BYC. It is a learning curve but don't be afraid to trust yourself. Most of the time it will be pretty obvious.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
You have to learn. This is one of the most important things about gardening, and unfortunately there are very very few books or websites that will show pix of the early sprouts of desirable plants.

And cotyledons and early leaves sometimes look WAY different than the mature plant's leaves.

Thus, the smart thing to do is start with as weed-free soil as possible, plant in regular geometric arrangements (so that anything outside your row or grid is almost *certainly* a weed), and "when in doubt, leave it be for now".

Easiest thing is yank one up and see. Then go make salad, because they don't usually replant very well if you were premature :)

Good luck, have fun, welcome to TEG,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ahhh... the fun of learning gardening! I've yanked a few seedlings thinking they were weeds. I think everyone has done it. I am starting off with a uniform lay out of planting and everything is currently marked. Like Pat said, I just assume anything outside my grid/pattern is a weed and I yank it! I ended up pulling a carrot that way, but I learned.

As for the ready to harvest roots.... you pretty much have to dig them up to check. Just don't start doing it until close to their expected mature time. Even if they are only close to ready, young veggies are very good to eat anyways! It won't go to waste.

I hope you find all the answers you need here, and no question is silly!!!

:welcome

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:)

Great advice. I'm so glad I found this site!

I planted geometrically and everything is labelled. I guess I hadn't considered that weeds probably wouldn't grow in a straight line.D'oh!:rolleyes:

I am keeping a gardening journal, so I will keep an eye on the maturation dates and then follow the above advice for the undergrounders (I am absolutely sure there is a better name for them...).

Thanks again!!!!!:bow

P.S.
Hi Ridgerunner!:frow

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You can also try googling, say, beet sprouts or seedlings, and the click on pictures. I did that for my potato sprouts. But when in doubt, leave it. As it gets older you will find that they start looking like weeds you will recognize, or a plant you recognize. A few weeds for a few weeks never hurt anybody!

Latest posts