Greetings from Costa Rica

Reaction score
Upon retirement I researched places where I would like to spend my retirement days, after 3 years of research Costa Rica was the winner! The folks here are just like my remembering of folks back in the early 50s. The people are awesome, the country is so beautiful and the climate is the best. My home is at 3,800 feet just 4 kilometers south of the cloud forest. Our average rainfall is over 100" which comes during the rainy season that last from May to sometimes the end of November. The dry season can be very dry. We often get clouds on the ground with ground fog and heavy mist which is called neblina by the local folks (Ticos). I have a garden under clear poly roof to keep the rains from drowning my plants. I've only had the garden for two years so I am still learning what I can grow here and how to grow it. The area is a temperate tropical climate, never below 58 nor above 85, the humidity is normally high, above 50% even in the dry season and in the wet season 80% and higher. I have gardened over the years but have never had the experience I am having now, just about have to learn all over again. The fruit available here is awesome, we can buy a stalk of bananas for a couple of dollars (here it is colones or 1,000 colones for a stalk). Pineapple that has ripened on the stalk is something to die for, the golden pineapples which are smaller but so much sweeter, just a slice of heaven. The local grown coffee is some of the worlds best, I hardly drank coffee in the states and when I did it was loaded with sugar and cream, here I drink it black, it is sooooooooooo good! No more Starbucks for me (actually I could never drink the bitter stuff anyway). Here the saying is "Pura Vida" the "good life" and it is. :old

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very well written.

You have "painted" a lovely picture of your retirement home.

Are you the artist or "the Art" ;) ?

Steve

:frow Welcome to TEG :frow !

Reaction score
I don't grow what grows wild here in the trees. There are so many kinds, types that I wouldn't know where to begin to choose which ones I would like to grow. Actually I like them all.
:rainbow-sun

Reaction score
digitS' said:
Very well written.

You have "painted" a lovely picture of your retirement home.

Are you the artist or "the Art" ;) ?

Steve

:frow Welcome to TEG :frow !
I guess I am just pain ol' Art, thanks for the "welcome", I am also a member of BYC. Right now thou, we are over run with cats, some pushed 4 kittens thru our fence last night, "lookin for a home"! If we kept them they would number 10, 11, 12 & 13. I have a blog that is behind but you can get an idea of what we have here. Oops, I guess I am to new to post my blog link, I will do that as soon as I am allowed.

:coolsun

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG! We are going to love hearing about your gardening experiences and seeing pictures. It will be a whole new world for some of us since our climates are so different. We are hear to encourage and support you.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Art, so glad to have you here! I hope you post often and let us know all about your gardening efforts. I can't wait for pictures!

Reaction score
Sorry for not posting lately, seems like there have been a lot of things hitting at the same time plus the ol' gripe has had me down for several days. I think I've been giving it back to myself as I have sleep apnea and haven't been sterlizing my breathing mask like I should and have possibly been inhaling the same bad stuff all night. Replace all of the mask and tubing yesterday, now feeling a little better. I will get back on doing more with my garden as I've got seedlings that need transplanting. got to do more post so a can put up some photos and links to my little blog. :)

Latest posts