Greetings from Germany

P Suckling

Leafing Out
Reaction score
welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. :)

beans you say? :)
Yes I am afraid so flowerbug. And have been rediscovering greasy beans big time. They are doing so much better here in the much brighter light and warmer summer weather in the South of Germany at 48.5 degrees N, than in Britain at 52 degrees N. What was a struggle in Britain, seems to work much better here. However, I found a number of crosses. Do greasies cross more easily than other beans?

Most beans grow more strongly too and I have had broken bean supports, that would have been entirely sufficient in Britain. Still need to work out a lot of how to do things best here. Pleased to meet fellow 'beanaholics'.

P Suckling

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi there, so you are in which state?

I also keep my tomatoes both in the hoop tunnel (main stems removed in early September, but the side shoots are kept for experiments) and outdoors (propagated from side shoots, also for experiments, too.).

The unusual warm weather is somehow funny, our Turkish poppies are growing again. They should enter their dormancy already. Our warm weather will only last for another two days, but it won't become too cold soon. It seems that this winter will be a warm one.

Here some broccolis are still growing, chilis, peas (I sowed some very late, now they start fruiting), broad beans (I sowed some in September and some last week), Chinese cabbages, a lot of lettuce, brassicas, cherry radishes, and lamp lettuce.

P Suckling

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi there, so you are in which state?

I also keep my tomatoes both in the hoop tunnel (main stems removed in early September, but the side shoots are kept for experiments) and outdoors (propagated from side shoots, also for experiments, too.).

The unusual warm weather is somehow funny, our Turkish poppies are growing again. They should enter their dormancy already. Our warm weather will only last for another two days, but it won't become too cold soon. It seems that this winter will be a warm one.

Here some broccolis are still growing, chilis, peas (I sowed some very late, now they start fruiting), broad beans (I sowed some in September and some last week), Chinese cabbages, a lot of lettuce, brassicas, cherry radishes, and lamp lettuce.
Hi Phaedra, sorry for long overdue reply. We had an urgent family matter requiring travelling and so on, but hope to pop by more often now. We are in Bavaria, north East of Munich, just South of the Danube. And yes the weather has only very recently turned wintry. I also had a few spilled pea seeds gamely persisting and giving us a handful here and there, but I think their days are now numbered. Very interesting about your broad beans. I sowed at the time I used to in Britain and half of the newly transplanted broad beans perished in frosts. Learned something. Sow later, but I did not realise how much later you could sow. Well the half that did survive (they were all under a cloche by the way) did fairly well, so no complaints, just a steep learning curve. That sideshoot experiment sounds interesting, are you hoping to overwinter side shoots or what is the experiment? Well the last beans have definitely been picked for this year, time to shell, pack and catalogue on the database. Wish you a nice second Advent this weekend.

Latest posts