Greetings!

kittiekat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm planning to start my own garden. What kind of plants can you suggest for a newbie like me?

Hoping I can have my own beautiful garden like this soon.
Quick-Gardening-Tips-For-A-Backyard-Vegetable-Garden2.png

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome lots of great people here who are more then willing to help you. 1st lesson in gardening is learning to have patience lol Great photo one day your garden can look like that, just dont think it will happen in a few weeks,

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, kittiekat :frow.

It sure is a "picture-perfect" garden. If you think about plant growth, you can gain an understanding of how you might have a successful garden. Plants develop from seeds - no, I'm not going to say that you should just have a "sprout garden" but you can immediately see where I'm going ;).

Leaves follow sprouting. Leafy greens like spinach and lettuce are my earliest crops. Since I also buy onion sets in early spring - salad! Most leafy greens grow well in cool weather. Asian greens are probably the largest class of "neglected" vegetables in American gardens. They are perfect for stir-fries, a quick and easy way to use harvested vegetables for the table.

The plant flowers next, sometimes too early for us greens growers! Broccoli is one of the easiest things for me to grow, but I sometimes have serious competition from Benjamin Bunny . . !

As plants begin to set fruit, we have the chance to harvest peas and green beans. Peas are early summer crops here and I grow all 3 of the common types - snow, snap & shell. Green beans are often at the top of the list for gardeners' "easiest" choices.

Now we are getting to some later season things like tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers. Quite a few things can go wrong by the time these plants begin to produce a crop and they have probably begin life indoors, weeks before going in the garden as transplants. Usually, for me, the "seed crop," sweet corn, comes along at the same time. Joining them are cucumbers, summer squash and melons. I feel like reached the peak of the garden year!

But . . . I haven't neglected those early spring veggies because the season will now begin to cool and we are right back where the salad & stir-fry varieties can grow well. I'm often starting these things during some of the warmest weather of the year but by the time they begin to make a little growth, the temperatures have begun to cool. That just means that the harvest of the warm-season vegetables is extended and the cool season things have a chance to catch up!

Having a beautiful vegetable garden is probably a little difficult for people to maintain because there is a need to harvest plants as they reach maturity. That is such an ongoing process that there is need for constant attention if things aren't going to get kind of messy out there at times.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, kittiekat! There is so much more information needed before we can help you with suggestions. What is your growing zone? Are you interested in flowers -- perennial? annual? unusual?, vegetables -- hybrids? heirlooms?, water features, edible landscape, organic? Are you near large body of water, high/low elevation, urban, arid/humid, large acreage or small plot? Knowing all of these (and more) will help us help you.

The best advice I have right now is to start slowly and develop your garden rather than become overwhelmed trying to do to much at once. Get online and start requesting garden catalogs. They are an excellent source of information, help in planning, as well as showing the newest and best plants and seeds available. Depending upon your growing zone you can spend the next months planning, dreaming, and drooling over the catalogs. I know that's what I'll be doing until spring is a lot closer.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome kittiekat! I agree with Smart Red to start small. Start thinking about what veggies/fruits you love and plan on those. Hopefully most will grow in your zone. I also like to grow things that are expensive like raspberries and blueberries. Seed catalogs will really inspire you will all those beautiful pictures. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Mary

kittiekat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. So glad to be part of this group.

kittiekat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome lots of great people here who are more then willing to help you. 1st lesson in gardening is learning to have patience lol Great photo one day your garden can look like that, just dont think it will happen in a few weeks,

Hahaha.. Yes, patience is really a virtue. Thanks for the tip.

kittiekat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, kittiekat :frow.

It sure is a "picture-perfect" garden. If you think about plant growth, you can gain an understanding of how you might have a successful garden. Plants develop from seeds - no, I'm not going to say that you should just have a "sprout garden" but you can immediately see where I'm going ;).

Leaves follow sprouting. Leafy greens like spinach and lettuce are my earliest crops. Since I also buy onion sets in early spring - salad! Most leafy greens grow well in cool weather. Asian greens are probably the largest class of "neglected" vegetables in American gardens. They are perfect for stir-fries, a quick and easy way to use harvested vegetables for the table.

The plant flowers next, sometimes too early for us greens growers! Broccoli is one of the easiest things for me to grow, but I sometimes have serious competition from Benjamin Bunny . . !

As plants begin to set fruit, we have the chance to harvest peas and green beans. Peas are early summer crops here and I grow all 3 of the common types - snow, snap & shell. Green beans are often at the top of the list for gardeners' "easiest" choices.

Now we are getting to some later season things like tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers. Quite a few things can go wrong by the time these plants begin to produce a crop and they have probably begin life indoors, weeks before going in the garden as transplants. Usually, for me, the "seed crop," sweet corn, comes along at the same time. Joining them are cucumbers, summer squash and melons. I feel like reached the peak of the garden year!

But . . . I haven't neglected those early spring veggies because the season will now begin to cool and we are right back where the salad & stir-fry varieties can grow well. I'm often starting these things during some of the warmest weather of the year but by the time they begin to make a little growth, the temperatures have begun to cool. That just means that the harvest of the warm-season vegetables is extended and the cool season things have a chance to catch up!

Having a beautiful vegetable garden is probably a little difficult for people to maintain because there is a need to harvest plants as they reach maturity. That is such an ongoing process that there is need for constant attention if things aren't going to get kind of messy out there at times.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the very detailed tip! I'll probably start out with green beans and peas since they are the easiest to maintain. Hahahha

You are right when you said that having a beautiful vegetable garden is difficult to maintain. I just to monitor their harvest times. Can't wait to start my own garden! :thumbsup

Latest posts