Greetings!

kittiekat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, kittiekat! There is so much more information needed before we can help you with suggestions. What is your growing zone? Are you interested in flowers -- perennial? annual? unusual?, vegetables -- hybrids? heirlooms?, water features, edible landscape, organic? Are you near large body of water, high/low elevation, urban, arid/humid, large acreage or small plot? Knowing all of these (and more) will help us help you.

The best advice I have right now is to start slowly and develop your garden rather than become overwhelmed trying to do to much at once. Get online and start requesting garden catalogs. They are an excellent source of information, help in planning, as well as showing the newest and best plants and seeds available. Depending upon your growing zone you can spend the next months planning, dreaming, and drooling over the catalogs. I know that's what I'll be doing until spring is a lot closer.

Hi Smart Red! Thanks for the response.

Well, I'm from California. I probably want some vegetables to start with. I think they are easier to maintain. And I'll just add on some flowers as the time goes by.

I think you're right by saying I should until spring to try out gardening. I'll just drool over the catalogs while waiting. Hahha:drool

kittiekat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome kittiekat! I agree with Smart Red to start small. Start thinking about what veggies/fruits you love and plan on those. Hopefully most will grow in your zone. I also like to grow things that are expensive like raspberries and blueberries. Seed catalogs will really inspire you will all those beautiful pictures. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Mary

Sure Mary, I'll keep you posted.

Growing expensive fruits is surely a nice trick. I don't have to buy anymore when I'm baking pies.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, kittiekat! :frow Won't be too long before you'll have an amazing garden. If you can put in your profile what your location or hardiness zone is, we can better tailor some ideas for you on what you might like to grow.

ETA: I see you put CA...I missed that somehow on the first pass!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy Kittiekat, cool name.

Gonna do a garden like that in the picture? Oh boy, it is doable.

I've helped design and make similar garden areas. At the nursery I worked at in Montana.

The ground has to be surfaced and shaped how you want it first.

Then the corners staked and marked, lines drawn.

Some couple inches of soil removed from the path areas. We covered the paths with a groundcover called Typar. You should use groundcover staples. That is then covered with what you want for surface, wood chips, or gravel, or what have you.

The edging is placed. For some places my boss had her engineer husband weld up steel strips. Edging in your photo looks like a plastic product. Cinder blocks can work, but for formal had best be super straight.

Once the edging is in amendments to the bed soil are made. For formal like this, the soil needs to be very excellent, soft, even fluffy.

There are many ways the beds can be planted.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:frowWelcome to TEG!!!! There are a lot of folks on here that will be happy to help. Just ask not matter how dumb you think the question might be....someone will come up with an answer. :D

kittiekat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Howdy Kittiekat, cool name.

Gonna do a garden like that in the picture? Oh boy, it is doable.

I've helped design and make similar garden areas. At the nursery I worked at in Montana.

The ground has to be surfaced and shaped how you want it first.

Then the corners staked and marked, lines drawn.

Some couple inches of soil removed from the path areas. We covered the paths with a groundcover called Typar. You should use groundcover staples. That is then covered with what you want for surface, wood chips, or gravel, or what have you.

The edging is placed. For some places my boss had her engineer husband weld up steel strips. Edging in your photo looks like a plastic product. Cinder blocks can work, but for formal had best be super straight.

Once the edging is in amendments to the bed soil are made. For formal like this, the soil needs to be very excellent, soft, even fluffy.

There are many ways the beds can be planted.

This will surely be useful to me once I started building my garden. Thanks Marshall

kittiekat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:frowWelcome to TEG!!!! There are a lot of folks on here that will be happy to help. Just ask not matter how dumb you think the question might be....someone will come up with an answer. :D

Thanks for the tip DewDropsinwv. I will surely be asking loads of questions as time goes by.

I actually feel very welcome now with all the responses that I am getting.

Thanks so much guys! :love

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hi kittykat; welcome! that's a beautiful garden you posted. I love order like that - somehow, my garden can't seem to stay orderly. the tomatoes sprawl all over the peppers, the beans crawl all over the okra & eggplant while the weeds grow like - well, you know. look forward to chatting w/you

Latest posts