Grilled Sweet Pepper Variety

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Yep, Aruba is a Cubanelle.

But, I'd say that it is more tender with heavier walls, Greenthumb. I don't think many are as productive as a standard Cubanelle . . . well, I guess the most productive pepper I've ever grown was Corno Di Toro but I'm not going to cast my vote for that one.

;)

Steve
Thanks Steve, I'll have to give Aruba a try! ;)
I grew a variety of pepper last year called "Jimmy Nardello" its a good frying type of pepper they seem to be very productive. Their long and narrow type of pepper.

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey Ridgerunner!

I have no clue about pepper varieties, but I do know about roasting peppers. I think a slight change to your method is worth a try.

First off, I recommend not oiling them.

I usually roast mine directly on a gas stove burner, but when I have a big batch I roast them on a charcoal/wood fire in the big grill. The key is to sear them on the outside over very high flame until the skin is black. I do mean charred, not just bubbled. I use long tongs to rotate them to char all over and then into a paper bag to steam.

In 30 years I've never had the meat of the pepper burn. I'm wondering if the oil might be part of the problem with the skin. Some folks slip the skin off under running water. If I'm doing a green chile stew, I do them that way. But for a big batch to store I just use 2 paper towels to rub the charred skin off. The meaty part is good and oh so sweet!

Give it a try if you want, it works for me.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try not oiling them. I'll play with the charring some too, but I usually char the skin black anyway. I usually do use running water, partly to clean the seeds off and partly to get the black stuff off my fingers.

I looked at the Oregon State link in Digits' post. I've tried California Wonders a couple of years ago. They were OK but not outstanding. They are listed as a thick-skinned variety. I guess I'll try the Super Shepherd again this year and probably one other one to experiment with. There is a guy that sells open-pollinated organic plants at various places around here each spring. I'll see what he has to offer this year. He turned me on to the Super Shepherd last year and it outperformed the yellow bell and the Chinese Giant.

Tommie4wiley, I'm not sure what you mean by alternative? Could you be a little clearer on what you mean by that?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anybody storing these for long term use? Or is it just a grill and eat kind of process?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I freeze them for use later. There are a couple of ways. You can put them on a baking sheet and freeze them, then take them off and put them in a ziploc type bag.

I put down a sheet of wax paper, top that with Saran Wrap, then put the peppers on that. I roll that up and put it in a ziploc type bag. To use them, just unroll the paper and peel them off. If I only use wax paper, the peppers stick to it. I do it this way instead of just put them in a bag because, since I open and close the bag a lot, they can get freezer burn. The wax paper roll protects them from freezer burn.

One of my favor uses is as a pizza topping. Pretty good in omelets too.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is after they've been grilled? Or do you just store them raw that way?

Sorry to thread jack have never grilled my own but LOVE the flavor of them so trying to learn here