Grizla's 2018 garden thread <3

Grizla

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Started my first seeds of the season yesterday and thought I'd start a thread to keep track of everything! Since the last time I checked in I've sold my house (!!!!) and moved in with my parents while I house hunt. My father likes to garden (he likes flowers more than veggies) and he's offered me a plot about the size of the bed I had my old house. My plan is to just go ahead and plant at the correct times- even if I have to move in the middle of the season my parents are perfectly capable of watering and eating veggies! I'll also be doing a few things in containers so I'll have something to take with me and start with. Yesterday I started my cocona seeds, they're a tropical fruit from Peru that's in the nightshade family- supposed to be sour and taste a bit like lime. It's popular for salsas and juice where it's native- very excited about it! Well, I say I've started them, but (of course) my grow mat crapped out over the winter- the new one is coming in the mail tomorrow and I'll be able to get them up to temperature. Ok! Time to go read about all your gardens! Happy spring!

Grizla

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Started broccoli rabe, fennel (for the bulb), celeriac and marigolds today. The marigolds in particular are supposed to germinate quickly- always a plus in my book! Celeriac root is a long shot here, the cool part of our spring is so short, but I love dried celery leaves as an herb so even if it bolts I think it's worth the garden space!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never grown strawberry spinach before, what do you think of it Grizla?
I have seeds, I thought it would be a fun thing for the garden class kids to plant.
I can hear them now,... oooh strawberries!! no wait, it's spinach? haha

Grizla

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've never grown strawberry spinach before, what do you think of it Grizla?
I have seeds, I thought it would be a fun thing for the garden class kids to plant.
I can hear them now,... oooh strawberries!! no wait, it's spinach? haha
This is my first year trying it! I watched some video reviews on YouTube to try a find out more about it- I'm sorry to say I didn't find one person with anything good to say about it! Lol! I'm going ahead with a small patch just because I'm curious and had already bought the seeds, but I don't expect much (maybe low expectations will help me like it?). I wish we had a garden class when I was in school! What sort of things do you grow with them?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Started broccoli rabe, fennel (for the bulb), celeriac and marigolds today. The marigolds in particular are supposed to germinate quickly- always a plus in my book! Celeriac root is a long shot here, the cool part of our spring is so short, but I love dried celery leaves as an herb so even if it bolts I think it's worth the garden space!

it would seem to me that dried celery leaves and dried large leaf parsley would be similar enough? never grown either celeriac or celery here. could eat large leaf parsley every day.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish we had a garden class when I was in school! What sort of things do you grow with them?

It's a summer class I teach for my neighbor kids. They grow vegetables in my garden area and every week we meet and learn something about plants and keep journals and do experiments and eat popsicles, haha. It's great fun.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a summer class I teach for my neighbor kids. They grow vegetables in my garden area and every week we meet and learn something about plants and keep journals and do experiments and eat popsicles, haha. It's great fun.

aka "child labor pool" for her business and we are not talking about this type of pool.
images

Grizla

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That's really cool! I have some neighbors with small kids but i only know them well enough to say "Hi" in passing. Must be cool to have a real community type neighborhood!

Latest posts