Ground Cherries - I'm doing it wrong

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I just can't seem to be able to grow ground cherries! I have tried starting the seeds three times, from two different sources and nothing has happened. Other plants ( like tomatoes) grew great in the same conditions. So I don't know why these won't.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what they would need?

I think this is pretty sad, because, supposedly these grow like weeds. :(

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've never tried to grow them, but hopefully someone will have some words of wisdom to share with you!!

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I feel for you, I can't for the life of me grow sweet pea, which is really a shame because I want some low-lying non-climbing sweet pea for the limestone garden.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend is going to be giving me some, he assured me they grew like weeds... Now, I am afraid!! I will ask him about location, water, etc. and see if he has any tips...

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi! :frow I found this info
Treat them as pepper plants and start indoors. Seeds germinate slowly, in about 2 weeks. You may be able to speed sprouting by using a heat mat under seeds sown in pots on plant trays. A simpler method to obtain heat is to sprinkle seeds on a damp paper towel, pop them in a baggie and set them on top of the fridge. The refrigerator's heat pump reservoir will supply the heat.
http://vegetablegardens.suite101.com/article.cfm/ground_cherries

Good luck!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm trying them too this year -- mine are just barely up now, MUCH slower than my tomatos and even a tad slower than the peppers. I am suspecting that a) they probably want really good heat, both soil and air (mine have a heat mat but are in a cool basement); and b) they may just "be" slow-starting.

I'll let you know how it goes, assuming they ever get big enough to put outside! :p

Pat

daisydukers

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If you are refering to Aunty Mollies ground cherries then I am surprised you are having any trouble.

BEWARE They self-seed very easily....

I grew them in Manitoba the first year at my 2nd house....after 3yrs they were still coming up but had spread to my whole garden..

I used a heating pad to speed up the germination of mine....

Latest posts