Grow Bags for Zucchini

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to try grow bags to grow my zucchini in since I don't have much ground space. The Gurney catalog says to use a 20 gallon size one for zucchini. I got them and they seem huge! They are slightly bigger than my black nursery tree containers.

I have tried googling it and seen some youtubes. Not much info on what size to use. The youtube videos just show large pots. Apparently the bigger the pot they will use less water and nutrients so you won't have to water and feed as often.

I have been debating whether to return the ones I have and get the 15 gallon size ones. I know I can just not fill them up as much but the size is kind of bothering me.

What do you guys suggest? The 20 or 15 gallon size?

Any one else tried growing in grow bags? There are pros and cons. What has been your experience?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Experience? Me neither. Hi Mary!

Couple days after Pi Day but let's do some math ;). 20 gallons equals 4620 cubic inches (Google says :)). That is a little more than 2 1/2 cubic feet or, let's say 6 square feet at 1/2 foot deep.

Six inches of cultivated soil isn't very deep for plants that grow as large and quickly as zucchini but let's go with the 6 square feet of soil surface. Would you begrudge your zucchini 6² feet? Maaaybe, you could squeeze 2 plants in that 2 foot by 3 foot space. They might finish the season kinda puny.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Experience? Me neither. Hi Mary!

Couple days after Pi Day but let's do some math ;). 20 gallons equals 4620 cubic inches (Google says :)). That is a little more than 2 1/2 cubic feet or, let's say 6 square feet at 1/2 foot deep.

Six inches of cultivated soil isn't very deep for plants that grow as large and quickly as zucchini but let's go with the 6 square feet of soil surface. Would you begrudge your zucchini 6² feet? Maaaybe, you could squeeze 2 plants in that 2 foot by 3 foot space. They might finish the season kinda puny.

Steve
Ok Mr. Mathmitec, what if I were to get the 15 gallon ones. Would I end up with a space of 4 square feet and 12 inches deep?

The bags are about 20" in diameter and 16" deep.

Mary, who was never good at math.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you like charts, there is one near the bottom of this link that might help. I did not find zucchini on that chart but did find summer squash. As far as I'm concerned, close enough. 18" to 24".

I went to Gurney's website. The dimensions for the 20 Gallon Grow Tub is 18.25" x 18.25" x 14.5" high. They say it holds 4.5 cu ft of growing media. The 15 Gallon Grow Tub is 15.75-in. x 15.75-in. x 14.5-in and holds 3 cubic feet.

I found this in the questions and answers section. (Usually I use blue to color text, but since it is Mary...)

Can I plant zucchini in this?

Asked by Susan 1 year ago

Verified Reply - Brad

Zucchini can be grown in the Grow Tub 15 Gallon.

Mary. I suggest you go to their website and ask how many zucchini can you plant in a 15 gallon? How many zucchini can you plant in a 20 gallon? You might get an interesting answer.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well hello Flowerbug. Darn I got excited when I saw a reply haha.
Mary

so, kinda a psyche! :) i'm glad others actually came along later and gave substantiativiely better replies. thank you kind people of TEG for bailing my butt out here. :)

what did i do? i went and saw the chiropractor this morning and then later today i visited the massage therapist.

am i going to do anything else today? not a chance. :) ok, well i may do some dishes later on.

thank goodness for TEG if Mom pokes her head in my room and asks me to do something i can say i'm busy. just kidding. if she needs something i'll do it, but it is nice to think about that you kind folks have my back.

where was i going with this post? nowhere and quickly so. :) peace out... i feel a nap coming on...

i should also say that the only experience i have with grow bags are those under my eyes.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Ridge, I went back and read all reviews. I must have missed the one about growing it in a 15 gal. bag.

I'm still on the fence. If I decide to keep the 20 gallon bags it looks like it will take a lot of soil to fill them up! It seems that you can plant two plants of either tomatoes, zucchini, or cucumbers in the 20 gal. bags cause of their size. I would only plant zucchini in them.

Oh what to do.

Mary

Latest posts