Grow Lights and Stands

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You need to give plants a certain amount of darkness as well. Depending on the type of plant and what stage of growth it is at will help you determine how long the light/dark cycle should be. :)

anthonyjame

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks. Is there a guideline someplace to view to get some insight on that as well as best things to grow under lights for winter?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't imagine that you would have much luck growing root veggies, under grow lights... I would think the herbs would have worked. What were you using as soil? You definitely don't want the lights on 24/7. I usually turn mine on in the morning and off right before bed, when starting seeds...That looks like a great setup- I would try again. Plant something easy, like lettuce.
Good luck!

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
what a shame that you paid $239.00 for this...and got zero results
Wifezilla is right on with the lumens, this setup, I feel would only be useful for crops like lettuce and herbs, but not many...
every Jan-Feb we get the urge to see some green and drop an old 2 -4 ft. bulb fixture over a couple flats and grow some lettuce, mostly just to see something "green" growing when all else here in Mn. is white and cold...

As for the "time on"
way to much light, most every plant needs a dark period to carry out photosynthesis...Generally speaking, Mimic the time of outdoor light in summer
and keep the light NO more than 3-4 inches above the top of your crop :)

anthonyjame

Sprout
Reaction score
I will have to look at the lumens. I don't recall seeing that in the spec's with the bulbs that came with. I will give another whirl and see what happens.

I think I will also cover the unit as it is in basement where it is in 50's in the winter to keep heat in.

Thanks

flgardengirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just use a couple of cheap wire adjustable shelves and shop lights fitted with grow light bulbs hung from chains with s hooks so they are adjustable. I have also used regular flourescent lights but set them closer to the plants. I grow my own tomato and pepper seedlings as well as lots of ornamentals, especially brugmansia crosses, every winter that way.

Latest posts