Grow Lights for seed sprouting and Growing vegetables

Usc529

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
okay i want to start growing indoors and from what i see alot of people use grow lights. okay i cant find anywhere that tells you how many watts to use per plant so can anybody tell me and i dont want to know the wattage for weed, i think they use diff. wattage for that stuff

epitman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
mmmmmmm i grew some weed one time in my basement under a light..... it was rag weed :lol: :clap :smack

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you come across Jackb on the forum he should be able to tell you a great deal about the use of lights to start growing. he does hydroponics year round. there are a few others who have been on here a long time and should also help you out with this.

i remember reading a past article and someone mentioned getting the fluorescent light bulbs with the highest amount of lumen available.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use 4' 40 watt tubes that are marked as plant & aquarium. I use 2 bulbs to cover each 2' X 4' shelf. This is where I put my starts after they have developed at least 2 true leaves.
This isn't the best photo but maybe you can get an idea of what my setup is.

THANX RICH

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had very good luck using regular florescent bulbs. Just keep them really close to the seedlings. I have mine rigged up on chains so I can raise them, as the plants grow...I know some people buy expensive bulbs- but I never have.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I also use regular florescents, they are cheap from walmart or the local hardware store. Good luck and be careful getting growing advise from weed growers. Guild by association etc... hate to see you get into trouble.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have some greens growing now under lights, just 2' fluorescent bulbs marked plant and aquarium. I, like Lesa, can adjust the height of the fixture so i can keep it really close to the plants. I start lettuces, etc, that like warm soils, with christmas lights under the seed containers to keep the soil warm, the cheap version of a heat mat! I'm not exactly sure how well this is going to work for me, i've only used this technique before to sprout seeds to transplant into the garden, never tried to get them to maturity! But so far so good.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw an expert on a gardening show who said the expensive grow light bulbs were not so much better than regular fluorescent to warrant the higher price. Heat matts are still the most helpful.

Latest posts