Growing Alfalfa

BarredBuff

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Next year Im planning on growing alfalfa and I have a few questions hopefully you can help me! Im doing for feed for my meat rabbits and meat chickens. What are the soil requirements? Whats your experience with it? Is it hard to grow?

Thanks
BB

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have planted and grown it but that was a long way from eastern Kentucky, BarredBuff.

Just as an easy first step, I think you should contact your local Cooperative Extension office for recommendations on variety for your area. They can also provide you with growing information.

Alfalfa has tiny seed so seedbed preparation is important. Rolling it is often necessary here so that the seed makes good contact with the soil and can germinate well. The first year, it makes little growth.

How much ground are you thinking about planting and what do you see grown where you are? What are the common hay crops?

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Learn about pH as that is alfalfa's largest enemy, acidic soils. pH less than 6.5, you will be lucky to ever see a stand.

Next problem is insects..........

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Definitely get with your local agricultural extension agent. They can help you test your soil and advise you on what crops (and which varieties) do best in your particular area. -Wendy