Growing cabbage plant indoors?

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My oldest DH brought home from school a cabbage plant at the end of March. It is from the Bonnie Plants 3rd grade program-they send home a cabbage plant (grows heads of 30-50 lbs) and the kids grow them then take their pic with the head and turn it in at the start of 4th grade. It is then entered for a $1000 scholarship per state.

My problem is; if I put this thing in the garden now it won't make the night. Our garden season usually starts the end of May (sometimes mid-may depending on the weather). I transplanted it into a huge pot as it's maturity is suppose to be at 82 days, so I didn't want to do another transplant when I can get into the garden.

My question is: Will this grow it's head in the house? Or will I need to get it outside on warm days so the bugs or whatever it needs get to it? I've never grown cabbage before so I don't know what it needs to set it's head.

Thanks in advance for any help!

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have had one of those cabages before and we kept it inside for a month. When we put it out side the bugs killed it. Good luck with your cabbage.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ouch! I guess if I have to put it out I had better watch for bugs!

Does anyone know how they form their heads?

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We even put seven dust on the cabbage, since we wern't going to eat it.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We had snow this morning and they are calling for more later this week. I really don't think a pail over it will keep it safe yet.

MissPrissy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just put cabbage out in the garden. Last year I grew heads of cabbage that measured 48 inches across from leaf tip to leaf tip. Did you know if you cut the head of cabbage and leave the roots and big outer leaves more heads will start to grow? They won't be near as big as the first one but they will young and tender and really nice. Get yourself a couple more cabbage plants to grow along with it, Kitty!

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Someone just told me about them growing back after you cut the first one off. I had been thinking about getting a couple of plants but, not this early. The stores here don't even have garden plants yet.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Silkiechicken-you'll have to watch when they start up the greenhouses and see.

I'm not sure we can use that much cabbage, if it grows as big as they say, before it goes bad, but I'm sure the chickens will be glad to help!