Growing cabbage plant indoors?

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Only DH likes kraut here so, I won't be making to much of that! Raw cabbage is what goes best here. I see lots of colesaw, etc. coming! :D

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Did you know if you cut the head of cabbage and leave the roots and big outer leaves more heads will start to grow?
I didn't know that.

When we plant broccoli the young shoots are real good.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's still growing in the pot. Our weather is colder than normal here and it's so wet that the ducks and geese are having no problems finding water. Oh, how I long to get out in the garden! It was cold enough this morning to freeze things. :barnie

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I usually contain myself, and have a tradition of planting cabbage on Derby Day. That's about right for here, and we get cabbage for summer and fall. Then I plant again in late summer to have winter cabbage.

We like cabbage, and you get a lot of food from one plant, when you think about it. :)

As for the project, I hope it goes well. :)

Silkiechicken, why don't you put a few plants in, and see? I'll bet they do grow there, they grow in some pretty diverse area. The trick is choosing the correct variety for your area. If you study that, there should be no problem. Let us know if you take the plunge! :)

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Cabbage can usually take a hard frost or even a freeze with very little or no problems. They're not as tender as other garden veggies.
Our greenhouses don't open until the beginning of May at the earliest here-for a reason. Right now it is to wet to even till the garden. I'm hoping the rain they are calling for tomorrow skips us and the rest of the week looks clear. Then maybe I can manage to till. I doubt that I will be able to get to the manure/compost pile but, at least I can get this thing out and the new section worked once!