Growing Gerbera Daisies

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
IMG_20160214_152818.jpg
Last fall, when my Gerberas were about to get taken by the frost, I noticed they were seeding.. So my daughter and I put some in a ziploc bag and misted them with water. In a little over a week, we had sprouts and transplanted them into some potting soil. I took them to my dad's "greenhouse" (actually his swimming pool that he covered with plastic for the winter, lol) and forgot about them. We went for a visit today and I remembered they were there... I was surprised to find this!!! I don't know if they'll bloom or what they'll do, but it's a fun experiment for my 11yr old daughter! :D

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good job, @KD_Olive! Those are doing just fine and, yes, they should flower this year.

I bought some Gerbera daisy seeds yesterday (with the flowers) and will plant them this week. I hope mine do as well as yours have.

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks! I had pink, orange, white and salmon. I'm curious to know what colors we'll get! And glad I won't have pay for these this year! Haha!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a great deal. Even the seeds are worth their weight in gold. A paltry 10 seeds to a packet isn't much of a deal.

These were in the 10 for $1.00 bin so I didn't feel quite so bad. Now to see how they grow.

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So my seedlings are starting to bloom! Woohooo! I can hardly contain myself, it looks like these first ones will be white! :weee:celebrate:weee:celebrate

I will be saving seeds if anyone wants some, l'd love to share or swap! :woot

IMG_20160606_140523.jpg

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's a great deal. Even the seeds are worth their weight in gold. A paltry 10 seeds to a packet isn't much of a deal.

These were in the 10 for $1.00 bin so I didn't feel quite so bad. Now to see how they grow.
Did they grow SmartRed?

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The seedlings grew really slowly all Spring. Now that the weather has heated up, they're growing like crazy!

Latest posts