growing grain for chickens

Kooshie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
After we move, we are going to start growing some feed for our chickens! I know they'll love it!

colin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello

1) Drain the soil well and blend in compost. Add a pound of blood meal and bone meal per 100 square feet.
2) Plant your wheat berries three weeks before winter so the winter rains can water your crop. October is the best time if you live in the west. Colder climates require planting in March.
3) Scatter lb. of grain seeds per 100 square feet of prepared soil. Use a rake to blend the seeds into the soil, making sure to bury them deep. This keeps the wheat stalks from falling down when they are fully grown.
4) Water the soil thoroughly at least once a week, especially if rain is scarce.
5) Place small stakes around the crop area and attach bird netting to keep the cats away.
6) Pull weeds regularly while the grain seeds are sprouting. Weeds look similar to grain shoots, and can overtake the crop.
7) Tie up the wheat stalks with twine when they are 2 feet high to protect them from heavy winds. Use stakes around the crop perimeter to support the twine.
8) Continue watering the grain until the grain heads turn brown. Once the wheat berries are too hard to bite through, the wheat is ripe for harvest.

Thanks for reading

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
colin said:
Hello

1) Drain the soil well and blend in compost. Add a pound of blood meal and bone meal per 100 square feet.
2) Plant your wheat berries three weeks before winter so the winter rains can water your crop. October is the best time if you live in the west. Colder climates require planting in March.
3) Scatter lb. of grain seeds per 100 square feet of prepared soil. Use a rake to blend the seeds into the soil, making sure to bury them deep. This keeps the wheat stalks from falling down when they are fully grown.
4) Water the soil thoroughly at least once a week, especially if rain is scarce.
5) Place small stakes around the crop area and attach bird netting to keep the cats away.
6) Pull weeds regularly while the grain seeds are sprouting. Weeds look similar to grain shoots, and can overtake the crop.
7) Tie up the wheat stalks with twine when they are 2 feet high to protect them from heavy winds. Use stakes around the crop perimeter to support the twine.
8) Continue watering the grain until the grain heads turn brown. Once the wheat berries are too hard to bite through, the wheat is ripe for harvest.

Thanks for reading
With all due respect...I am going to say it again...Please be careful with blood and bone meal.

You can google the following and pick your weapons. "richard rhodes blood and bone meal"

May I suggest if you "choose" to use those products that you use a very good filter mask...A VERY GOOD ONE. :cool:

my3boysmom

Sprout
Reaction score
I grind corn for my chickens with my wood chipper. I made a bag to tie over the exit chute to catch it as it flies out. I grind every couple of weeks as I need it. However, chickens can digest whole corn if you provide access to grit.
Word of warning: Most corn sold as feed is hybrid and won't produce anything but nubbins if planted. Better to buy an open pollinated field corn this year and save seed for next year. :)

Latest posts