Growing Grapes... how long before I get a vine?

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Definitely going to check those books, MC...thanks for the post!

LOL, r4e...we pretty much did the same thing...just stuck it in the ground. It's done really, really well in terms of growth, just no fruit. We didn't get all fancy with a trellis; we had a wire shelf sort of thing left over from some project or other and zip tied that to the railing on the deck. It's six feet tall and in just two years, the vines are up over the top of it. This year, we're going to have to figure out something to extend it. Ultimately, I'd like to put tall posts on each corner of the deck and make an open structure over the top. I envision a leafy green "room" out there in the summer...with a few grapes hanging down for the picking ;)

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
Definitely going to check those books, MC...thanks for the post!

LOL, r4e...we pretty much did the same thing...just stuck it in the ground. It's done really, really well in terms of growth, just no fruit. We didn't get all fancy with a trellis; we had a wire shelf sort of thing left over from some project or other and zip tied that to the railing on the deck. It's six feet tall and in just two years, the vines are up over the top of it. This year, we're going to have to figure out something to extend it. Ultimately, I'd like to put tall posts on each corner of the deck and make an open structure over the top. I envision a leafy green "room" out there in the summer...with a few grapes hanging down for the picking ;)
I can see it now, maybe you can even get your SI to feed you some:gig

Latest posts