Growing Grocery Store Produce

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've grown garlic and potatoes from the store, as well as some winter squash and spaghetti squash. *Generally* they will breed true because they are grown in such large fields of the same types and have less opportunity to cross-pollinate with other types. It's always fun to try them out!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Non-organic potatoes may be sprayed with a chemical to inhibit sprouting in storage BEFORE they are harvested! Yep, the green plants are sprayed so the tubers won't sprout easily, months later. Once they are in storage, there's a risk that they will be further treated to inhibit sprouting.

All that "inhibiting" means that you may have problems using them as seed potatoes. A guy on a gardening show the other day said that a potato will grow more potatoes if it is planted. I thought that it was just real misleading to have said that . . .

The fresh herb section should be able to provide starts for rooting. I've only done that with lemon grass because I've got lots of culinary herbs already out in the garden. Lemon grass cannot take a frost and I haven't tried protecting it thru the winter like I do with the rosemary and lemon verbena. It's kind of ornamental growing beside the back steps :).

Steve

chicken stalker

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Non-organic potatoes may be sprayed with a chemical to inhibit sprouting in storage BEFORE they are harvested! Yep, the green plants are sprayed so the tubers won't sprout easily, months later. Once they are in storage, there's a risk that they will be further treated to inhibit sprouting.

All that "inhibiting" means that you may have problems using them as seed potatoes. A guy on a gardening show the other day said that a potato will grow more potatoes if it is planted. I thought that it was just real misleading to have said that . . .

The fresh herb section should be able to provide starts for rooting. I've only done that with lemon grass because I've got lots of culinary herbs already out in the garden. Lemon grass cannot take a frost and I haven't tried protecting it thru the winter like I do with the rosemary and lemon verbena. It's kind of ornamental growing beside the back steps :).

Steve
What other herbs have you rooted?

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have 3 avocado seedlings potted. We're in zone 7 so I'll need to bring them in on really cold nights. How big can you grow them in pots?

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have never had good luck with Avacado seeds, is there a trick or something I missed trying to root them?
thanks

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
I have 3 avocado seedlings potted. We're in zone 7 so I'll need to bring them in on really cold nights. How big can you grow them in pots?
To answer this I must ask, how big of a pot are you willing to move around?

I have some growing in the ground here. They grow fast!
In a pot you could control the size better but it is a robust grower!

Don't expect to eat any fruit off of it, it will just be a nice ornamental tree for you!

My DML has a few for 10 years now and never a fruit yet.
They do much better 60 or so miles South of me but it gets to cold for them here.

Sunstar; As far as starting them. You can just stick it in a pot and keep moist for a few weeks of you can use the tooth pick method (Grandma's way) You just stick three picks into the seed and put it over a shot glass.

Now that I think about it Grandma sure had a lot of shot glasses!
My Grandma and Grandpa were the ones that got me into gardening.

It all started with a penny a weed deal!
Grandpa was cool, he would not give you money, but if he took you to the store you just had to follow him and he would drop handfuls of change on the sidewalk, he would say whoops!

They were wonderful!

Joe, named after Grandpa Joseph :bow:old

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks Joe.
what a wonderful memory to have.

I have tried the tooth pick trick and all its ever gotten me was a slimy, soft, yucky seed. never a root nor started plant, very frustrating.

I would love to have one as in inside winter outside summer tree, I have 10 ft ceilings and can let them grow and grow, IF I could ever figure out how to get one started lol.

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have 3 seedlings now- 1-2 ft tall on a small balcony and will bring them inside for freezes. No problem carrying them this winter.

I didn't word my question well. I want to know - can I keep them small enough to fit in a apt or small greenhouse later, and still get fruit? We have 8-10 foot ceilings.
I really don't want to give on up growing my own avocados, but it doesn't look promising. I loved my avocado tree back in Fla.

Your Grandfather sounded great.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
if you put lemon grass in a glass of water and root it you can grow a really nice lemon grass plant and have your own on hand as needed

also if someone did not mention it I have grown raw peanuts in a pot and also ginger root grows well in a pot