Growing Grocery Store Produce

pax12

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i planted a mango seed and now its 6 in tall

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've planted store bought potatoes, garlic, tomatoes, peppers and dry beans. I've had success with all but the peppers and that may have been more me than the seed. The garlic, tomatoes and peppers were all planted directly in the soil, but along with regular planting seeds/starts too.
I checked the viability of the dry beans and potatoes first. The potatoes from store bought were already sprouting before I planted. And the dry beans were put in a wet paper towel, in a plastic bag in the window sill and checked after a week or two. They all sprouted, so I figured the bags were okay. I planted about 10 of each variety as a test and they all grew and produced great. Next year I plan to plant many more.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My sweet potato crop came from a store bought sweet potato. I got 17 plants from one potato. You sprout the potato in a glass with toothpicks like you do with the avocado. When a sprout grows several inches long, you twist it off and root it. I used pill bottles for this stage. The original potato keeps growing new shoots and you keep harvesting them. When your little shoots grow roots, you plant them in their own pot of soil. Use a fair size pot as they make alot of roots before they grow alot of leaves. My pots were about 6" diameter. When the time comes you transplant these plants into the garden. They need about 100+ days of growing season and are tender so need to be put out after all chances of frost. I didn't take any pics of the plants of harvest. If anyone wants more info. I can post it.

chicken stalker

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
jojo54 said:
My sweet potato crop came from a store bought sweet potato. I got 17 plants from one potato. You sprout the potato in a glass with toothpicks like you do with the avocado. When a sprout grows several inches long, you twist it off and root it. I used pill bottles for this stage. The original potato keeps growing new shoots and you keep harvesting them. When your little shoots grow roots, you plant them in their own pot of soil. Use a fair size pot as they make alot of roots before they grow alot of leaves. My pots were about 6" diameter. When the time comes you transplant these plants into the garden. They need about 100+ days of growing season and are tender so need to be put out after all chances of frost. I didn't take any pics of the plants of harvest. If anyone wants more info. I can post it.
So did they produce a fair amount of sweet potatoes?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've planted Pinto and Great Northern beans from the supermarket. That worked :)!

Yeah, I want to know more about those sweet potatoes, too. So, you are growing your own sweet potato slips? AND, you are Canadian?!?

Knowing next to nothing about sweet potatoes, I encourage Dad to grow Georgia Jets about 20 years ago. I thought they did fine in his garden but Dad grew up in New Mexico and knew sweet potatoes. He wasn't impressed.

Maybe all this indoor "stuff" could lead to a good crop . . .

I think I might get a chance to find out. A friend of DW's stopped by yesterday after returning from California. She had a little bag of "Japanese sweet potatoes" for us. I don't know what they are but they're very dark. DW wants to grow them next year in our garden . . .

Heck, I don't even know if they can last in storage until the next growing season. Maybe I should be allowing them to grow slips and planting those out . . . :hu?

Steve

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
chicken stalker said:
jojo54 said:
So did they produce a fair amount of sweet potatoes?
Yes they did. Some were huge while others are just fingerlings.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Yeah, I want to know more about those sweet potatoes, too. So, you are growing your own sweet potato slips? AND, you are Canadian?!?

Knowing next to nothing about sweet potatoes, I encourage Dad to grow Georgia Jets about 20 years ago. I thought they did fine in his garden but Dad grew up in New Mexico and knew sweet potatoes. He wasn't impressed.

Steve
You are supposed to grow the potatoes on a mound so we piled the soil 6 to 8" high. You don't hill them like regular potatoes though. They need heat and moisture. When my son dug them up this fall thet syill were quite deep so he figured that we should make even higher mounds next year. Once you dig them up, you need to cure them for several weeks. It is supposed to be high heat and high humidity. We put them in the shop with the woodstove going and covered them with a sheet. You are to leave them for several weeks so the starch changes to sugar. Then when you store them, they need to be warmer than most cold storage rooms. They should not go below 50F while my cold room is a fair bit colder so my carrots, etc last the winter. I keep my sweet potatoes in a closet in the basement and they seem to be doing fine.