Growing onions

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have I ever shown you how I start my onions before?To have the best home grown onions I start my seed indoors in September-October or so. In the North you need long-day onions for best growth. These are way better than sets or store bought plants. The seed do not stay viable from one year to the next so I plant all that are sent. Several times over the winter I give them a hair cut. It makes the tops much stronger for spring. They are put out in spring when the weather cooperates. Keep them mulched and well weeded for giant onions. Indoor trimmings are mild but nice live food.
IMG_2161.jpeg
IMG_2164.jpeg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have I ever shown you how I start my onions before?To have the best home grown onions I start my seed indoors in September-October or so. In the North you need long-day onions for best growth. These are way better than sets or store bought plants. The seed do not stay viable from one year to the next so I plant all that are sent. Several times over the winter I give them a hair cut. It makes the tops much stronger for spring. They are put out in spring when the weather cooperates. Keep them mulched and well weeded for giant onions. Indoor trimmings are mild but nice live food.View attachment 62514View attachment 62516
Oh nice. You posted my onions!

Suzee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Have I ever shown you how I start my onions before?To have the best home grown onions I start my seed indoors in September-October or so. In the North you need long-day onions for best growth. These are way better than sets or store bought plants. The seed do not stay viable from one year to the next so I plant all that are sent. Several times over the winter I give them a hair cut. It makes the tops much stronger for spring. They are put out in spring when the weather cooperates. Keep them mulched and well weeded for giant onions. Indoor trimmings are mild but nice live food.View attachment 62514View attachment 62516
Thank you so much, the planting instructions that come with the seed are confusing to say the least. I’m already late, I think. I live in Montana on the continental divide. So, should I get going with my starts, or am I too late.

I have another question. My onions looked great at first. I tried to cure them according to all I have read, but they ended up with brown at the tops, and though the are fine to use after trimming, I’m disappointed. Our season is so abrupt when it ends that we can get a freeze like that. My tops didn’t wilt and I had to get the onions out of the ground. Did I harvest too late? Help?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much, the planting instructions that come with the seed are confusing to say the least. I’m already late, I think. I live in Montana on the continental divide. So, should I get going with my starts, or am I too late.

I have another question. My onions looked great at first. I tried to cure them according to all I have read, but they ended up with brown at the tops, and though the are fine to use after trimming, I’m disappointed. Our season is so abrupt when it ends that we can get a freeze like that. My tops didn’t wilt and I had to get the onions out of the ground. Did I harvest too late? Help?
Montana or not I would say you can still start them. I think they are very forgiving. Sounds like they did get heavily frosted. But I grow different types and eat the imperfect ones first. If they sprout green I eat them first. I grow some for summer and fall eating and longer keepers Make sure you select you seed accordingly. I select winter keepers. But I also grow Candy and Competition to get nice big onions to pick and eat. Maker sure you select for your climate.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Must be my age. Actually they usually send you a notice when you are in the picture of the week. And I wanted to thank the administrators.

oh! ok! now it makes sense to me. :)

i went and checked things out. this thread is a featured thread, but not picture of the week.