Growing peanuts in Maine

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anyone have experience trying to grow peanuts in Maine, or another cold climate? I've had limited success, but wondered if anyone else experiments with this and has some tips.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i'm very close to the border of ME! i grew them a few years ago with no issues! they were neat to grow! just remember to roast them before you eat them! they are not supposed to be eaten raw or you could get sick.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd like to get a certain variety of Valencia's that they grow in Canada, but you can't have them shipped here, that I know of.
I get very small yields here, but they are fun to grow!

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in zone 4 in Wisconsin, not quite the same climate as Maine, but it's cold here. I started my peanuts in the greenhouse last weekend. We ordered jumbo virginia peanuts from Gurney's. Gurney's says they need 4 frost free months to mature, and they are supposed to be good for up to zone 3, so we are hoping for the best. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone has any advice.

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
buckabucka, did you end up planting any peanuts? If so, how are they doing? Mine don't really seem to be doing much of anything. It's been cold and wet lately, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. They look healthy enough, but just aren't getting any bigger.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, we set up 2 large (20x24) hoop houses this year, and ironically, I am skipping the peanuts this summer. I was out of seeds and never got around to ordering it (they are not available locally). I do have sweet potatoes in the greenhouse, and I'm trying artichoke for the first time.

The first time I tried peanuts they seemed to have a slow start. I ended up putting a floating row cover on them, and they grew much faster. Good luck with them!

Latest posts