Growing Potatoes

Betsy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We grow our potatoes in raised beds where the dirt is mostly composted cow manure from our neighbor's cows. Raising potatoes in raised beds is SO much easier than in our clay soil. The potatoes are easy to dig, and weeding is a snap. The only problems we've had is with the potato bugs-and even those are easier to pick off in raised beds.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I haven't read everyone else's response yet. Just wanted to say that I have had luck starting potatoes from organic potatoes bought at the store. Since I wanted to just try my hand at growing potatoes, and these potatoes were already sprouting, I didn't want to invest in doing it the "proper" way.

If you want to go the "cheap" way, just understand that those store potatoes could harbor some disease. Better to get certified seed potatoes, like I did this year.

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Okay...I have read through all the posts and I am new to spuds!! We have planted ours in tires and we are now up to two tires. I am filing them in with soft dirt as they grow. I have a few questions....
#1 Do I completely cover the plants up to the top or should I leave some showing?

#2 How high should I stack the tires?

#3 When do I know they are ready to harvest?
When they flower, when the plant dies......

#4 Do you wash the dirt off of the potato's....or just store them dirty and wash as used?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks for all of your help....Loving this farm thing and growing our own food!!!!! Green Acres is alive!
Tink

turnerstar31

Sprout
Reaction score
I live in northeren ny and my growing season is not that long but I always get a good potatoe crop and they are so good out of the garden. All my aunts and uncles are like these are the best potatoes ever. All i ever do is cut them up and throw them in the ground in hills.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you are planting potatos in raised beds,how deep does the bed need to be. I have been reading this thread and everyone says to keep adding more dirt around the plant as it grows. In a new raised bed, how high should the soil be before planting the potatos if you are going to be adding more soil periodically?

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey Natalie....I am new to potatoes so take my info for what its worth....I planted mine in tires. I started with one tire and three plants in each tire. I added a tire when the plant grew above the rim, and added dirt. So if you can picture a tire and that it is about 20-24 inches across that is how I planted mine. This tire idea is working out really cool and I especially like the idea of when the potatoes are done growing you just simply tip the tires over to harvest. No digging up the potatoes! Hope I helped a little.
Tink

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you want late potatoes for storage, wait 2-3 weeks after the foliage dies back. Carefully begin digging a foot or so outside of the row or mound. Remove the potatoes as you find them. (Be careful not to bruise or cut the tubers with your spade!) If the weather is dry, allow the potatoes to lay on the soil surface, unwashed, for 2-3 days so they can dry. If the weather is wet, or rain is expected, move the harvest to a cool, dry area (like a garage or basement) for the drying period. This drying step is necessary to mature the potato skin, which will protect the potato during storage

Tink,
I remember you asked about washing and storing potatos and I came across this information today.

Chickchic

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Man, my potatoes do not seem to be growing! I planted them I think at least two weeks ago and I still see nothing coming up from the ground.

How long does it take for them to sprout? It seems It didnt take so long last year. I cut them and planted the, but some little ones were left whole. They all had eyes, so I do not understand.

You think they died?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chickchic, I hate to be a bad influence, but I'd dig one out and look! lol! :D

They are probably fine, but I hate not knowing if I'm bugged. Just do it gently, and check, I'd say! ;)