growing / regrowing herbs, help

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ok, i wanna plant an herb garden now to add to my veggie garden. When i plant this herb garden i would like to grow cilantro, rosemary, parsely and dill. my primary question envolves teh next year regrowth.
How do i make sure i can get these herbs to regrow teh next year without buying more seeds every year. do they do this? does anyone have proven ways of doing this with these herbs?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, I am not an expert but rosemary is a perennial but only in warmer climates. If you are north of zone 8 you are supposed to pot and bring indoors in the winter.

Cilantro, parley, and dill are annual and have to be replanted each year to have them regrow. Now it is very easy to collect the seed for cilantro (coriander) and dill and replant the next year. Allow the cilantro to flower and produce seed (coriander) and harvest those, the dill, once it flowers and starts to dry clip the flowers off and place into a brown bag for about 2 weeks. Then shake gentle and the seeds fall off.

Parsley... no idea how to do the seed. Sorry.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never grown cilantro...

Dill is annual and reseeds itself very easily. Save seed once the umbrels dry, but you will also have many "volunteers" pop up in the same spot next year.

As HunkieDorie said, with the rosemary, you will have to pot it and bring it in before frost (unless you are zone 8 and up). It will grow and grow like a shrub.

Now parsley is a biennial. It will make only a leafy clump the first year. I overwinter mine directly in the garden. For my zone it is very hardy and I don't have to mulch it or anything. Your second year, it will make seed (umbrels). Dry and save like you would the dill.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Buy cilantro and dill seeds once- forever more you will find it in your garden (and in all surrounding gardens.) Even in zone 4, parsley is a perennial. You will love growing herbs- fresh herbs make you wonder why you ever bought dried ones! Happy Herb Gardening!

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
journey11 said:

Dill is annual and reseeds itself very easily. Save seed once the umbrels dry, but you will also have many "volunteers" pop up in the same spot next year.

As HunkieDorie said, with the rosemary, you will have to pot it and bring it in before frost (unless you are zone 8 and up). It will grow and grow like a shrub.

Now parsley is a biennial. It will make only a leafy clump the first year. I overwinter mine directly in the garden. For my zone it is very hardy and I don't have to mulch it or anything. Your second year, it will make seed (umbrels). Dry and save like you would the dill.
My parsley did not overwinter. I wonder if the chickens were too hard on it? They have the run of the yard once the garden is out?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
jojo54 said:
journey11 said:

My parsley did not overwinter. I wonder if the chickens were too hard on it? They have the run of the yard once the garden is out?
Could be so, mine annihilated my garlic... I only had 4 that came up this year thanks to the chickens!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cilantro is actually two herbs in one. The leaves are cilantro or sometimes called Chinese parsley. The seeds are ground into coriander.
Speaking of two in one Hamburg parsley is also dual use. You can use the leaves just like regular or Italian parsley but it also grows a thick root that is harvested at the end of the growing season. It tastes somewhat like parsnip.
If you make dill pickles or dilled vinegar the flower heads are decorative when included in the jar.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
jojo54 said:
journey11 said:

In cold climates parsley roots will often rot at the center after a hard freeze so it won't come back to bloom next spring.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't forget Fennel and Chives! Fennel is triple working for ya, you can eat the leaves as an herb and save seeds to crush as an herbs as well. You can also harvest the bulb and it has a slight anise flavor but a celery crunch... eat it raw (with creamy italian dressing... mmmm) or cook it down into a soup or base of veggies like carrots, onions and garlic! Perennial if you don't eat the bulb and just harvest leaves and seed. :D

Oh, and chives are fabulous too! You can chop them up and eat them fresh, dry some and store it for winter use as well... and the flowers on them are pretty and edible too! PERENNIAL!

Latest posts