Growing Rocks for Fun & Profit

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Somebody said, "ya can't see rocks grow!" Well, ya don't see the grass grow either but it does. ~Brother Dave Gardner

Many years ago, when I was in the Navy we had an L.P. of the standup comedian quoted above. He had this great money makin' scheme. He was gonna plant ROCKS! He than figured he'd get a guvmint subsidy for his crop and sit back and relax. He said, " It takes a million years to bring in a crop of rocks but..." He also had another plan for growin' marble. He figured that if he plowed rocks with zebras he'd bring in a crop of marble.

Interestingly, the University of Arkansas has a document on the subject: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=vDQqGzhxUFrJ-YTuQ3NM8w&bvm=bv.45960087,d.aWM

And just in case your interested there are places in the world where they do farm rocks. :hu Google "a crop of rocks".

:gig

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you could say we 'farm' rocks up here in the north east! i remember something my dh told me about when he was a kid and southern relatives came for a visit. they were so impressed by all the rocks in the area that they offered to take back a bunch! when they left the back of their car nearly dragged down the road! :lol:

i think we call a farm where you get big rocks a 'quarry' up here. but those are the ones that require more effort to pull them out of the ground. :p

btw, i think Steve has plenty of pics of his attempts to farm rocks! if i remember the pic of his onion beds from early last year.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
you could say we 'farm' rocks up here in the north east! i remember something my dh told me about when he was a kid and southern relatives came for a visit. they were so impressed by all the rocks in the area that they offered to take back a bunch! when they left the back of their car nearly dragged down the road! :lol:
ChickiesMoma' reminded me of an old joke:

There was this New Hampshire farmer who was doing his annual spring clearing of the rocks from his field. A city slicker happened by and asked, "Where'd all those rocks come from?" The New Hampshireman responded in the terse manner for which that region is famous, "Glacier brought 'em." The city slicker, thinking he'd have some fun with the old fella asked, "Well, where's this glacier now?" The answer was, "Gone back for more rocks, I 'spect."

:lol:

Latest posts