Growing Sesame

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The question in my mind since collecting them has been how can you toast black sesame seeds? I've toasted lots of the white ones, I really like toasted sesame, and always use the golden colour to gauge doneness. They burn to so easily too!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The question in my mind since collecting them has been how can you toast black sesame seeds? I've toasted lots of the white ones, I really like toasted sesame, and always use the golden colour to gauge doneness. They burn to so easily too!

toast them in the pan with the other herbs or seeds i want to release the flavor/oils or brown them a bit. i've not done black sesame seeds at all. i guess you could try to go by time in the pan or until they pop a little or smell them as they heat up. try a few and see how it goes. a bit of oil will help with heat transfer but some things are ok dry toasted. i just have to put this down as something learned by experience as also tastes vary. what my tastes say is ok Mom thinks is burnt too much (for almost everything :) ). i'm not afraid of a little carbon in my food. :)

Latest posts