Growing Sweet pea help again!

Herechickchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I am still wanting to grow sweet peas. I tried this past summer but they did not do well, they pretty much burnt to a crisp (I am sure it did not help that it was one of the hottest, driest summers on record here). I started the seeds indoor and moved them outside in mid April on a west facing fence. I would really love to grow these and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me? Should I plant the seeds in the fall or 6 weeks before the last frost date? What would be the best place (I put the ones from this past summer on the west facing fence to get a little afternoon shade) bad idea? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Adam

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you mean the flowers they like the Summer but if you mean the edible green or snap peas they like the weather cool and can even take a light frost but not a hard freeeze. In most of the country they are a Fall or very early Spring crop. When it turns too warm mildew usually does them in.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It probably just got to hot for them. When I grew them in the past mine were usually spent by the end of July, early August. Afternoon shade is a good idea I think, but I don't understand the west facing fence providing the shade unless this is a wooden, shadow box type fence.

You can start them indoors like you did this year, or sow the seeds in mid March next year. Hope you have better luck with them next year! I am going to have to grow these again myself. The flowers and fragrance is certainly worth it! :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am sure, if you try again, you will have good luck. These are not hard to grow- once you have an established plant you will see what I mean! Here in zone 4, my plants die back every winter and by mid-summer are ready to take over the world! If you are starting them inside, make sure you harden them off, before leaving them outside. That" burned to a crisp look", can happen with too much sun, too fast.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sweet this, sweet that . . . this pea, that pea . . . . . . sugar this . . . ummm

I think you are talking about the annual sweet pea, Lathyrus odoratus (click). Am I right, Adam?

I often grow them and have had 1 or 2 problems. They tend to get mildew here, the aphids love them, and they can burn up!

One year, the aphids moved in on them and I was having some of my first experiences using insecticidal soap sprays. Not really toxic but I know it will kill these aphids . . . spray any old time!! Wrong :/! After about one-half of my plants died, I learned to be much more careful about the time of day I spray soap on them -- and be willing to rinse the vines off with the mist setting on the water hose before they are exposed again to strong sunlight.

No, a western exposure with a fence behind cannot be best altho' I usually have them in the full-sun. Great Britain is known for its cloudy summer skies, moderate temperatures and sweet peas. The Wild West isn't the best place for them but, with seed sown early/early in the Spring, I can grow them here.

Steve

Herechickchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes I am wanting to grow annual sweet pea. The fence I grew them on is wooden which provided the afternoon shade. They burnt up in early July. The plants did OK otherwise but I only got a few VERY SMALL flowers. I had no problem with aphids. I am afraid full sun might be to much (it is not uncommon to go above 100 degrees for days at a time). The date for our last frost is around March 23. Should I plant the seeds around Feb. 9th? I read to plant them 6 weeks prior to the last frost date. Is this a bad idea? I would rather not start them indoors.

Thanks everyone!

Adam

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I generally don't start much of anything that much before last frost, Adam. Still, I think they should be fine.

My problem is mostly getting the ground ready and the soil here stays cold for a long time.

Our Spring weather is usually overcast and cool.

Steve

Herechickchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I can work the ground all year here so that is no problem. I think I will try planting them early and see what happens after all this is all an adventure for me. I will have plenty of seeds left if they do not germinate.

Latest posts