Growing Tea Roses In Containers

BeckyLa

Sprout
Reaction score
I have such poor soil in my yard that I'm thinking of planting my tea rose in a container. How much root space does a tea require? Would one of those large tubs with the rope handles be big enough? I also want to get it up away from the yard because it gets buried in grass every time dh mows. :rolleyes: I also have chickens in my yard that love to eat the blooms and I'd like to get the plant up higher so they can't reach the flowers. I tried putting deer netting over the plant last year, and it did keep the chickens out, but the plant does what plants do, it grew up through the netting and made all new problems. Grrrrr. So, would a tub be big enough?? Thanks!!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmm. How big a tub exactly are we talking here? I've seen those rope handle things in different sizes.

I don't do teas, but I can tell you that my climbers and some rugosas are more or less happy in 3-5 gallon containers. I do have to feed and fuss over the buggers though, whereas if they were in the ground I would be able to ignore them more.

Latest posts