Growing under a tent

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't know what it is called when you build a little clear plastic tent over your vegetable beds so you can grow them in cooler weather.

Does that make them taste bad like hot-house veggies sometimes do?

I have never done it. Just thought about it. And weighed the pros and cons of having some not-quite-as-great-tasting vegetables later in the season vs. not having any at all.

Cassandra

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think they are called hoop houses, if they are tall, or just tunnels if they are short.

I'm not sure what you mean about hot-house produce. Do you mean commercially available or home-grown. I don't notice that greenhouse veggies taste any different than outdoor ones . . . .

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I think they are called hoop houses, if they are tall, or just tunnels if they are short.

I'm not sure what you mean about hot-house produce. Do you mean commercially available or home-grown. I don't notice that greenhouse veggies taste any different than outdoor ones . . . .
I guess I mean commercially grown. I don't know of any people who have their own personal greenhouses, so I didn't realize they would be different from commercial greenhouse food. And honestly, the only thing that I know of I have had from a greenhouse that doesn't taste as good is tomatoes. Most of the other produce I have to buy--I have no idea where it comes from. (Other than the country of origin sticker.)

But there is one local man who has a famous tomato farm and in the winter, he advertises his "hothouse" tomatoes. They are not as good as regular season tomatoes (nowhere close to home grown.) But they are, I admit, better than the other tomatoes you can buy off the shelf in the winter time.

Cassandra

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, we are on the same page then. I think it's because commercial varieties of veggies tend to be flavorless. If you put an heirloom tomato in a hothouse, it'll taste like an heirloom tomato (in my book anyway).

So I wouldn't worry about flavor. I think anything you grow will be much better than what you'll find in the store.

Have fun extending your season. I think you'll find it rewarding! :D

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think you mean a cold frame of sorts. This can definitely help extend the growing season in fall, as well as help the plants get going earlier in the spring. I had butter lettuce growing under the one pictured, all winter. We even had some snow! Mine is a simple A frame set up, but you could do much better. I like the fact that mine are a portable size. I have a few of them, so I can set them end to end for a longer row.
100_0526.jpg

No taste difference when using these, that I ever noticed.

A lot of the commercially grown hothouse items are refrigerated after harvesting. Tomato's are often picked while still fairly green to allow time for transport. Neither lends to their flavor..

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Very nice! Thanks for all the info.

Cassandra

Latest posts