~GROWING WATERCRESS without running water~calling Ladyhawke...!! ~

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Hi there,

I have grown it many times by buying a small bunch of organic watercress from the supermarket [expensive] then rooting it in water. I plant these in a nice clay pot which I stand in another shallos dish of water [this has to be changed every day].
I have also grown American Land cress but I found that very invasive & often too hot in taste. :sick

http://www.gardenguides.com/436-old-fashioned-watercress.html

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_watercress.htm

http://eatingbritain.com/home-grown-watercress/

**** Ladyhawke -- Heres another project for you & it doesn't take up much room......!! :lol:
I have mine rooting now......!! :cool:

:rose Hattie :rose

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did something like this once, Hattie!

My large veggie garden is between 2 alfalfa (lucerne) fields. The main irrigation line is along one side of the garden.

When I first started growing there, the main irrigation valve leaked. One section of the pipe was in a low place and the water dripped there at all times, especially when the water was running but, essentially, all the time.

I installed a short length of plastic pipe and guided the water into a small pool of about 12 square feet between a couple of beds in the garden ;). Even tho' the water was shut off for a few days each week, the bottom of the pool would stay moist because that big valve down the line, leaked :rolleyes:.

I bought watercress from the supermarket and planted it in the pool with the tips above the high water mark. Even when the water level dropped for a day or 2 each week, the watercress seemed happy enuf with the moisture still available in the wet soil at the bottom of the little pool.

I think I embarrassed the neighbor who owned the valve, however. He may have thought that I was on my way to putting in a rice paddy and really "capitalizing" on his water wasting :cool:. The next year, he replaced that leaking valve and when the water was off, it was OFF. Shucks :/!

Steve

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow :frow

Hi there,

I have grown it many times by buying a small bunch of organic watercress from the supermarket [expensive] then rooting it in water. I plant these in a nice clay pot which I stand in another shallos dish of water [this has to be changed every day].
I have also grown American Land cress but I found that very invasive & often too hot in taste. :sick

http://www.gardenguides.com/436-old-fashioned-watercress.html

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_watercress.htm

http://eatingbritain.com/home-grown-watercress/

**** Ladyhawke -- Heres another project for you & it doesn't take up much room......!! :lol:
I have mine rooting now......!! :cool:

OMG! Not another projectjust what I need. :lol:

Thank you for the information. To tell the truthgeezemy life is becoming an open book on this forumkant hide anything from yous guys. :frow

If the truth be known, I have two faucets in the house that drip, drip, drip. I cannot afford a plumber. Some years ago, it was ONLY $300.00 just to have the guy come out. :he

Any way if I could rig something up, I would divert this water to a watercress bed instead of letting it go down the drain. Wouldn't that be charming. :gig :throw

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:celebrate A great solution Ladyhawke.....!! I see that plumbers are as expensive over there as here........ :barnie

Here you can't even find one in a hurry.........!!! People with university degrres who couldn't get a job have been retraining as plumbers lately -- just goes to show......... :hu

Enjoy your watercress. :lol:

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my watercress from the grocer comes in a container with roots already on it ...I eat the root and all because no one told me not to ...can I just plant this I wonder? I am going to read the links but I cant from work I am sorry if the answer is in them!

I thought about just putting it on a tray and seeing what happened

I love the taste of watercress

but I love GREEN things :)

msbear

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I scored some seeds from Wifezilla in a swap and wanted to try them this year. I've been wondering about a good spot. We have a HVAC unit outside (Central Air System) and it has a condensation drain that slowly leaks all Summer and the ground is always moist there. The problem is it's on the North side of the house... Is that enough light? Part/full shade?

Pringlays

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Not to hijac the thread or anything but how easy is it to grow watercress?I have a little spring in my backard were there is fresh water constaintly could I start the seedlings then plant it there?Ill make sure to keep the ducks out lol

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pringlays said:
Not to hijac the thread or anything but how easy is it to grow watercress?I have a little spring in my backard were there is fresh water constaintly could I start the seedlings then plant it there?Ill make sure to keep the ducks out lol
:frow

I should think it would be really easy as once they are rooted they just take over. Once established it should spread by itself. Lucky you.....:D

****But a word of warning, check your water source is safe & not polluted.

Latest posts