Growing Watermelons?

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi! I have a watermelon plant in one of my gardens. Since I didn't take any pictures when I first transplanted them I can't tell if they have gotten any bigger. How fast or slow do watermelons grow? Is there anything I need to know about growing watermelons? This is my first year! Thanks! :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here, watermelons are pretty easy. Just remember to give it a good drink. They love hot weather!

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Attempting to grow watermelons here in MN for the first time, too. Planted them and then had a week of high 80's to low 90's... they were up within just a few days! Tried starting them in the house and it didn't go well. None made it to transplanting in the garden. Oh well, it will be interesting to see how they turn out.

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! I'll keep you posted on how they do!! :D

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought a few Mighty Mato Grafted Watermelon plants this year. The variety I have is Sugar Baby and Moon & Stars. It's kind of an experiment to see how well the grafted plants will do, their suppose to have a higher yield and better disease resistance. I suppose it doesn't hurt to try a few of these and see how they do.

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yeah, mine seem healthy and I think look healthy. They just haven't grown and they have been in the ground for at least a month. The pumpkins grew a little.

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the watermelon plant. It looks healthy right?? Again, I'm a newb lol By the way, it's smaller than it looks.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 352

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well that plant looks great to me! I think you just have to be patient. Look who's talking about patience when it comes to plants. :hide

Mary

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well that plant looks great to me! I think you just have to be patient. Look who's talking about patience when it comes to plants. :hide

Mary

Good I'm glad it looks healthy! I just wanted to double check, Thanks!! :)

Latest posts