grubworms

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am digging up dirt to get ready to plant soon, I am finding lots of weird looking white worms , I think they are grub worms. :sick Will they harm my vegetable garden? How do I get rid of them ? :tools

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like it. For me, I throw them over the fence which is into the chicken yard. They will usually stand at the fence and wait for them. Before I had chickens I just threw them into the yard for birds that were forging in the area.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have chickens so I did give them grubworms. they love them ! I also give them tomato worms or horn worms. they fight over them..

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd get rid of them. They can chew on the roots and do some damage there, but they turn into some sort of beetle. There area whole lot of different beetles thay can turn into, but a couple of the more common ones are June bugs and JAPANESE beetles. When I find them, the chickens get happy.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The grow into japanese beetles. Feed them to your chickens. The best long term control is milky spore disease. It lasts 20 years once established. It is organic and gets the grubs sick and they die. If you have patches of grass that die out in the summer it is probably a big infestation of grubs. Read the directions for your climate as to when to put it out.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I just heard (on Midwest Gardener last night) that you can grow phlox to sacrifice to Japenese beetles in your vegetable beds. They were forcasting a BIG Japenese beetle population in 2012, due to the mild winter. I'm planting 4 o'clocks in 4 hanging planters along the fence. I've read that Japenese Beetls love them, eat them and die. If I hang them the cats and dogs won't mess with them bc they're toxic.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks, I have been thinking they would have a banner year, due to the mild winter! Gotta pay for everything I guess!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gosh, what a dilemma! I'm torn between planting 4 O'clocks to kill the Japanese beetles with, or use pheremone traps again to catch and freeze the beetles for my chickens to eat next winter. Either way sounds very satisfying..............

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I was digging up my garden to get it ready for my spring planting, was shocked to find so many grub worms !! :sick I fed it to my chickens and they came over to help me dig for more !! LOL ! :lol:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
I'd get rid of them. They can chew on the roots and do some damage there, but they turn into some sort of beetle. There area whole lot of different beetles thay can turn into, but a couple of the more common ones are June bugs and JAPANESE beetles. When I find them, the chickens get happy.
They make great bait for goggleye and channel cats.