Gurneys Dwarf fruit trees

Gonzo & The Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, I was wanting to add a few of these trees, one apple, one pear, and one peach... all self pollenating... The catalog says they grow to around 6 ft tall. The apple tree ad says it will give you half a bushel of apples... Is that very many? And does anyone know if that will also apply for the peach, and pear trees too? And.... how long will it take to get fruit from these dwarf trees? The apple tree page says 16 months for apple trees, but didn't have that much info for the peach and pear trees. I tried to call them, but the line was busy, so I gave up after a while. I'm sorry... I'm so full of questions! I'll be sooo glad when I've got some experience so I can answer so questions! :lol:

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wanted to get a few dwarf fruit trees too. You should try e-mailing them they'll help you. When i tried to call them the number didnt go through.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A self pollinating tree is not going to give you that max amount of fruit. It really needs to be cross pollinated with another apple/peach/pear of a similar blooming variety to get the max amount of fruit they offer.

As for a 1/2 bushel, I'm thinking that's about 2-3 dozen pieces of fruit?

I'm not too impressed with what a dwarf tree can do for production, but I know you can get a semi-dwarf that is probably going to get about 9-12 feet, and you can prune it to keep it small and shorter. You will still get more fruit that way.

Thought I suggest something like 2 apple, and 2 peach.

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Could you please direct me to one of these?

I've been shopping at Gurney's for years now and have NEVER seen a dwarf apple tree. I just looked again and every apple I clicked on is semi-dwarf or full size.

THANKS!

Gonzo & The Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DawnSuiter said:
Could you please direct me to one of these?

I've been shopping at Gurney's for years now and have NEVER seen a dwarf apple tree. I just looked again and every apple I clicked on is semi-dwarf or full size.

THANKS!
I was wrong... it's a semi dwarf...

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Stark sells dwarf apple trees that are spur trees and they are suppose to give off alot more fruit because they fruit where the spurs are or something like that.
Its only a couple of varieties that they offer it in.

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wish I had something to report for ya but I don't. I only added them last year. My dog demolished two of them, I think we will be able to save one of them.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've never ordered any livegoods from Gurney's before so I can't speak for them on that. I do have several stark trees and wow on those. I planted them in the spring and the following spring several of them set fruit. I have the standard size tree since I have plenty of orchard space but a quick look at that website does show some dwarf apples.

http://www.starkbros.com/About/?show=Promise

I'm not sure about all the varieties you are looking for, but might be worth a few minutes of peeking at.

Edited to add: I bought my trees from a local Stark retailer. I even had the misfortune of needing to use the warranty and no questions asked, walked with me to the tree beds and helped me pick out the replacement.

Latest posts