Habaneros

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm hoping to learn some tips from folks here as this is the first time in probably five years I've dehydrated Habanero peppers and would love a better way to store them. The plants just started really putting on peppers so every few days I hope to be picking them and putting some up- the first batch was dehydrated and I have it in a little snack bag stored with as little air in it as I could. However I know some store them in canning jars with the ring tight?

Essentially looking for a good way to store the excess when it isn't in use that will prevent discoloration/flavor loss/moisture/ruin. Anyone with experience with these peppers have some information or tips in mind for storage of them? Thank you!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have just hung them up with a string tied to the stem inside an attached garage, a long strand. They dried out and stored for years but had a definite change of color. That was whole peppers, seeds and all.

I've also dehydrated habaneros in my dehydrator. I split them and removed the stems, seeds, and that white connective material (using gloves), then ran the dehydrator forever until they were really dry. Then I used a blender to turn them into a powder and stored them in a canning jar with the lid screwed on tightly. The color held fairly well. They were stored in a fairly dark place, that might have helped with the color. Do not do this in your house. The dehydrator was in an outbuilding where I could open the door and window. I did the grinding outside in the open air.

I've stored sweet peppers in the freezer in a zip-loc type bag. I'd use them to make pepper jelly and save them until I had enough for a batch. Or use them on pizza. I'd split them and remove the stems, seeds, and white material. Then stick them in the freezer.

If you really dry them out they should store in an airtight jar without molding. The freezer idea might work too, depends on how you want to use them.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I dehydrated my sweet peppers last year. The few I still have left are still bright & colorful, red/orange/green/yellow.

I deseeded and chopped mine up, then blanched them before putting in the dehydrator. I put mine in canning jars and use my food saver to seal them.

I will be doing Jimmy Nardellos and Habanadas (no heat Habanaros). I"ll have red, green & orange this year.

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've got two small batches dehydrated so far and they're currently in a tight shaker jar. If we continue to get more and the bushes grow any (they seem stunted from this weird weather we had) then I will have to use @Ridgerunner 's suggestion on powdering it and storing in a tight canning jar.

Latest posts