Had your first frost yet? (Frost/freeze hardiness chart, post #26)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Lucky, I have grown Tomatoes as perennials in Montana. Sometimes I kept them in the heated greenhouse at work, and sometimes at home in my living room.

Some kinds do better than others, and sometimes it is just the individual. One I had for years I named Grandmother Tomato. She was one of my F1's of my cross of Marianna's Peace X Giant Syrian. Both parents were strongly selected gor several generations before doing the cross.

There was also an F2 daughter of this cross' F1 that was one year younger, and I planted another F1 of that cross that second year that perennialized also.

Several others also perennialized well. White Beauty was strong. It takes a strong plant to start with. Growing them in a container, a 5 gallon black nursery pot works if you primo maximize the soil with bone meal and the good stuff potting soil.

Before frost bring her in after trimming her way back to good buds that are already popping. She'll be maybe a foot tall. A sunny south window works, along with a flourescent tube behind the pot. Keep her clean and neat. Whiteflies are the big mess. Though some will not kill it, too many will hurt it or make you give up. I used a nicotine tea spray with a tiny amount of shampoo to wash the plant and kill whiteflies. Always have another spray bottle with pure water to use immediately after. Voila, pretty and clean leaves. (These days I'd probably also use a mild kelp solution spray instead of pure water.)

After a few months she is big again and needs another pruning. Be watching for those healthy side buds, and encourage them with top pinching.

By plant out time she'll be tall, ready for a 10 gallon pot, and a move out into the garden at a primo spot. Keep her healthy! At season's end, repeat the process with improvements you will bew thinking of. :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
retiredwith4acres said:
Bedsheets to cover plants, plastic is not good!

Hoodat, I just ate a bowl of turnip greens, whole bowl!! I am trying to build my iron/blood back from donating yesterday but really enjoyed those greens. The fog prevented a frost on our plants last night, I think. I haven't checked them all. Tomorrow night is suppose to possibly be a freeze, dread that. I was hoping the bees would have another couple weeks to gather nectar and pollen since they do not have enough for the winter.
I'm trying to watch my diet closer since my bypass operation but sometimes I get a real hankerin' for a good old meal of chicken fried steak, mashed potatos and turnip grens with a glass of pot liquor. So far I've been able to resist temptation.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat, I bet that these days there is some kind of vegetarian Falafel steak, and some kind of skim milk based white chicken fried steak gravy available.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
idea-1.gif
I am going to make a Swiss Steak dinner one of these 1st days!

What happened to those things? I know, they rightly went the way of the "cube steak."

Well, I've got some round steak in the freezer, one of those hammer things, a ton of ripening tomatoes, bags of sweet peppers, plenty of sweet onions . . . Served with mustard greens or bok choy and some red potatoes on the side - I'm in business
DancingPlateandSilver.gif
!

Steve's digits & Rebbetzin smilies :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too close to dinner time...you all are making me hungry!

Now we are supposed to have a freeze tonight. Gonna have to cover some stuff... :p But it's supposed to be beautiful weather this weekend, for who knows how long.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
This was the first year I've grown mustard greens, so I wasn't sure if they were going to need covered for the predicted freeze tonight or not. Here is a really helpful chart I found from the U. of Minnesota Extension online listing all fall crops, their DTM and specific frost/freeze tolerance. Thought you guys might find it useful too.

6486_chart.jpg

(Source)

After tonight, the next 10 days here is looking downright pleasant! :coolsun

Latest posts