Hail

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, sunflowers, .... All got hit with hail last weekend. The peppers probably look the worst. I wish the hail had killed a few rabbits and squirrels, because they keep eating my sunflowers (ARGH!!!!!!!:somad:somad:somad)

This is just on the back porch, but the damage was everywhere, obviously. I was out of town last week so here's the pic my wife sent me after the storm rolled through fast and hard

Hail.jpeg

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you in the path of that storm in the Rockies moving on thru the Dakotas, Sprig'???

Rabbits eat sunflowers? Well, that explains it! Setting them out as 3 week old plants seems to offer little interest to whatever critters eat ours.

I feel bad about complaining on the Mountain Cottontails that can cause so much damage in my garden ... now, that @Gardening with Rabbits has told us a rabbit that loved her and told of her great efforts at nursing it when the rabbit became ill :\. The ones in her avatar look uncomfortably like Mountain Cottontails.

Weather! Critters!:barnie.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score

Steve

Well, before they were in the hutch, that was my reaction :barnieI actually threw dirt clods at them before they were mine. :hide It is going to be interesting this summer. I have 2 friends with gardens and both have rabbits moving into their yards. One is neighbor rabbits and the other I am not sure if tame or cottontail, but there are more than 1, so there will be 5 and then 20 and then too late.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, sunflowers, .... All got hit with hail last weekend. The peppers probably look the worst. I wish the hail had killed a few rabbits and squirrels, because they keep eating my sunflowers (ARGH!!!!!!!:somad:somad:somad)

This is just on the back porch, but the damage was everywhere, obviously. I was out of town last week so here's the pic my wife sent me after the storm rolled through fast and hard

View attachment 7450

That is crazy! Sorry you are going through such a thing.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are you in the path of that storm in the Rockies moving on thru the Dakotas, Sprig'???

Rabbits eat sunflowers? Well, that explains it! Setting them out as 3 week old plants seems to offer little interest to whatever critters eat ours.

I feel bad about complaining on the Mountain Cottontails that can cause so much damage in my garden ... now, that @Gardening with Rabbits has told us a rabbit that loved her and told of her great efforts at nursing it when the rabbit became ill :\. The ones in her avatar look uncomfortably like Mountain Cottontails.

Steve

built a fence of chickenwire around all the sunflowers now.

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh that is awful!! I have had this happen to my veggie garden as well. We get our worst hail in June and July, of course when plants are fruiting out. 2 inches of large hail will destroy it all.

I hope you have time to replant!

Latest posts