Hand pollinating my squash?

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Morning everyone,

Our Zucchini is producing wonderfully, Our Acorn squash is setting little squashes, the Buttercup squash is setting little squashes. Now the problem child, our green Hubbard are getting flowers like crazy, then they wilt away like I would expect but they are not setting the little squashes when they wilt away.

What can I do? The green Hubbard are my pride and joy. Will hand pollinating help? How do I hand pollinate? Why is everything else doing so well and my Hubbard's aren't?

Thanks in advance for any help, Tony

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Only if there are little baby squashes under the blooms that are wilting away. Have you seen any baby squashes yet? Or just blooms on stems?
I didn't get any squash planted this year..except pumpkin for the chickens. And I love squash, and enjoy hand pollination. Watching the tiny baby squash grow into big ones is such fun. :weee

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like those are the male blossoms. The female blossoms will show themselves soon.
mrcman said:
Morning everyone,

Our Zucchini is producing wonderfully, Our Acorn squash is setting little squashes, the Buttercup squash is setting little squashes. Now the problem child, our green Hubbard are getting flowers like crazy, then they wilt away like I would expect but they are not setting the little squashes when they wilt away.

What can I do? The green Hubbard are my pride and joy. Will hand pollinating help? How do I hand pollinate? Why is everything else doing so well and my Hubbard's aren't?

Thanks in advance for any help, Tony

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep, that's what I was thinking. The male blossoms come on first....in abundance. Then the females baring unfertilized baby squash peek out. I think the males grow first to attract the pollinators to the plant.....so the plant doesn't waste energy and nutrients on the females too soon.

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks,

I guess I feel pretty stupid now. So, what you's are saying is...If there is a baby squash under the blossom it is a female squash. If there is no baby squash then it's a male. Okay...I understand that now. Should I hand pollinate the female irregardless or should I just let nature take its course? In the past I've never worried or even took notice to all of this. But I hope to get a bumper crop this year.

Thanks again for your help, Tony

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, hand pollinate. By all means! It is fun and a great way to learn plamts and how they reproduce etc. I had never done it till I had read about it somewhere else. Made perfect sense after that.

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Do I need anything special? Would a Q-tip work?

Tony

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I break off the male flower. Peel the petals off the stamen, and poke the stamen loaded with pollen in to 2 or 3 female blossoms.

Latest posts